UK still save to visit?

(34 Posts)
wijnands Mon 27-Jun-16 20:40:11

I've read some worrying news about overt racism and violence to foreigners. I'm Dutch and I've booked a holiday in the UK for august. One week in Cornwall, one week in the Cotswolds.

Is this still going to be safe? I'm not easily scared but I'm also not looking forward to explaining self defence at a police station.

iniquity Mon 27-Jun-16 20:41:43

Not safe at all. I wouldn't risk .

Palomb Mon 27-Jun-16 20:41:57

99.9% of us are lovely. Sadly the news only shows the 0.1% of absolute knobheads.

You'll be very safe here smile

Fontella Mon 27-Jun-16 20:47:40

Cornwall and the Cotswolds. Lovely!

Come on over ... you'll have a fab time and you'll get a lot for your money with the pound in the shitter!

smile

PortiaCastis Mon 27-Jun-16 20:50:26

I'm in Cornwall you are very welcome. It's fairly quiet and haven't seen anything untoward.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 27-Jun-16 20:50:29

What are you on about Iniquity?

Of course it's safe.

iklboo Mon 27-Jun-16 20:54:38

I'm hoping Iniquity was being sarcastic.

LadyStarkOfWinterfell Mon 27-Jun-16 20:55:32

Yes it is certainly safe. The nastiness is rare and it will die down.

Hockeydude Mon 27-Jun-16 20:57:18

It will be fine. Most of us are not loony.

I feel apprehensive about going abroad, being obviously British and having people think I'm racist, xenophobic etc and have the cheek to travel to the EU! I voted remain.

Lweji Mon 27-Jun-16 20:57:46

I'm sure there are more dangerous places around.

Just don't look like a Boris' or Juncker's relation.

KittyLaRoux Mon 27-Jun-16 20:59:56

FFS we chose to come out of the EU not shoot all foreigners on sight hmm

Luckymummy22 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:02:17

Cornwall need your money. They're already shitting themselves about losing EU money. The EU that their county chose to leave!!

PortiaCastis Mon 27-Jun-16 21:06:54

Do you live in Cornwall too LuckyMummy

Rockelburger Mon 27-Jun-16 21:08:59

Please relax and come on over. You'll have a lovely time. Sadly the news is filled by people who are not happy with the way the vote went so they are tying to say we are all racists to ensure we have another referendum. Ignore the hype and enjoy our lovely country.

Maursh Mon 27-Jun-16 21:11:35

Britain is open for business as usual - nothing to worry about. I have no idea what reports of racism are filtering through.

Most British are not racist! Many people voted to leave because they were against the european union project for whatever reason, not because they are against europe or europeans.

Draylon Mon 27-Jun-16 21:12:34

wijnands many of us in the UK regard you Dutch as being paragons of sensible response to silliness. We see you as open, direct, honest, no-nonsense.

I am a tad surprised that you might even think the average Briton would treat you, or even privately regard you any differently now than last week.

Yes, we have allowed some cockwombles out of their cages, but their 'targets' won't be you.

Please come, we need your Euros! wink

Fontella Mon 27-Jun-16 21:14:21

There's no such thing as 'EU money'.

It's the member states that provide the 'money - a handful of net contributors of which the UK is one of the largest.

A load of it gets creamed off to pay the bureaucrats inflated salaries, pension schemes, the offices, the staff, the chauffeured limos, the two parliaments, infrastructure and all the rest of it and then what's left gets paid out in dribs and drabs to the various regions and projects.

In 2015 the UK paid £15 billion to the EU budget and got back £4.5 billion in aid to various regions like Cornwall, Wales etc. and that's taking into account our negotiated rebate.

specialsubject Mon 27-Jun-16 21:16:03

being obviously Jewish in Stamford Hill (like most of the residents) means you'll be risking an ongoing campaign of racist intimidation - but racist abuse and violence remains abhorrent to the vast majority of the UK population and is of course illegal.

YorkieDorkie Mon 27-Jun-16 21:16:08

If you're in England as a tourist in the lovely touristy areas there will be no problem. The tempers are high in certain places but we still have lots of visitors and 99% of us will treat them with respect and kindness. The media is reporting about a small number of socially backward folk who need putting down.

gunting Mon 27-Jun-16 21:17:12

OP, you are more than welcome here. There are 66m people in the UK. Only 30% of those voted leave and only 0.1% of those who voted leave are going to be these idiots you see on the news.

I hope you have a lovely holiday. smile

Fontella yes and if we still want access to the single market we will still have to pay £15bn to the EU but we won't get anything back. What a deal!!

specialsubject Mon 27-Jun-16 21:17:26

repeating this:

Most British are not racist! Many people voted to leave because they were against the european union project for whatever reason, not because they are against europe or europeans.

Lweji Mon 27-Jun-16 21:19:43

I'd say come to Portugal instead, but my usual tram tram to work is already to full of tourists anyway.

Lweji Mon 27-Jun-16 21:20:05

Too, not to. Fgs

sorenofthejnaii Mon 27-Jun-16 21:24:36

Hopefully we'll get more tourists because the UK is a lot cheaper.

Like in many countries, there are places to avoid - but they aren't the tourist areas.

wijnands Mon 27-Jun-16 21:25:51

Thanks for the reassurance.

As to any brits visiting over here like Hockeydude.. worst you'll get is some bemused look and a snigger behind your back. More likely we'll just cuss at you for walking all over the bike paths. ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now