Why didn't we hear this before the referendum vote?

(20 Posts)
Breadandwine Mon 27-Jun-16 20:27:48

Professor Michael Dougan analyses the EU referendum debate
One of the UK’s leading EU law experts criticizes the referendum debate’s “dishonesty on an industrial scale”, as he considers the claims and counter claims from each side.

www.facebook.com/UniversityofLiverpool/videos/1293361974024537/

Where was this bloke in the run-up to the referendum? shock

Flacidunicorn Mon 27-Jun-16 20:29:44

I believe the facts were there for anyone to research leading up to the vote?

I know people like to have everything explained to them but every person with access o the library or internet could research it all they wanted.

pluck Mon 27-Jun-16 20:29:51

Are you serious? Even the Facebook post is dated before the referendum!

pluck Mon 27-Jun-16 20:32:41

I voted Remain, but there was plenty of Leave material around, which I acquainted myself with, meaning the result didn't totally take me off guard. Anyone could have done the same.

darceybussell Mon 27-Jun-16 20:33:00

I shared that on Facebook before the referendum but to be honest I was probably shouting into an empty room. The vast majority of people on my Facebook were remainers and the few leavers wouldn't have been interested in listening as they had already decided.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 27-Jun-16 20:33:08

Er, we did...

wijnands Mon 27-Jun-16 20:37:31

Even I'd heard of the guy before the referendum. He was laughed away because of what he does for a living.

VagueButlmportant Mon 27-Jun-16 20:38:38

Umm.. That link was all over Facebook and Mumsnet last week. I just put Dougan into advance search and got 33 results (some are baby names from 2014 but approx 20 threads linked to this video)

eg here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/2665988-an-absolute-must-watch-before-you-vote-professor-michael-dougan-analyses-the-eu-referendum-debate

You just weren't listening.

LondonKiwiMummy Mon 27-Jun-16 20:39:39

Are you kidding? I watched it. He's excellent. Wish they'd put HIM on the front page of the Mail website.

Mrscog Mon 27-Jun-16 20:40:44

It was watched about 500k times before the referendum.

muddypuddled Mon 27-Jun-16 20:40:54

I saw this about a week before the vote, it helped me make my mind up that remain was the right way to vote. I shared it on fb but I don't think anyone watched it because it wasn't sensational like much of the campaigners propaganda.

Breadandwine Mon 27-Jun-16 20:58:14

Mmm, thanks, guys. None of my friends or I (all remainers) saw it. sad

eyebrowse Mon 27-Jun-16 21:05:10

The problem was many of the leave people were reading the sun and daily mail (and to a lesser extent the telegraph) and they were only publishing pro leave articles and particularly headlines. They probably were also watching sky news more than the bbc (I don't watch sky but given murdoch's stance it was probably pro leave and the bbc always gave a counter argument). When David Cameron said anything he was rubbished. Thus even though my face book was pro remain the remainers were talking to the remainers only and not able to access those who were voting leave.

Also if you are facing a decision on something that you know little about often people will discuss it with older members of their family and older people were pro leave

ShowOfHands Mon 27-Jun-16 21:09:21

It was shared by 19 of my FB friends and I saw it on here and heard it talked about at work. The people who needed to see it wouldn't care tbh.

HisNameWasPrinceAndHeWasFunky Mon 27-Jun-16 21:30:38

I saw it before the referendum too.

borntobequiet Mon 27-Jun-16 21:34:53

WE DID WE DID WE DID
You were not paying attention.

HeadDreamer Mon 27-Jun-16 21:37:53

I saw it on facebook. But then like others said, my wall is filled with remain stuff. I only know one vocal leaver. And she's not that vocal.

sorenofthejnaii Mon 27-Jun-16 22:29:28

I suspect many people made up their mind before and then looked for facts to support their view and ignored facts that went against it. Human nature to some degree.

Wellthatsit Tue 28-Jun-16 08:37:59

Ha ha, I started a thread on here about it, got accused of spamming, then the thread died after about 10 replies. Shows how interested people were!

throwingpebbles Tue 28-Jun-16 08:41:13

Many of us were sharing it and also making those points anyway in advance of the referendum
But people only hear what they want to which is why so many leave voters are refusing to acknowledge what a dire financial state we have been plunged into

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now