Manchester Stays demo - anyone know anything?

(12 Posts)
highlandcoo Mon 27-Jun-16 18:48:48

The Independent online reports that there's going to be a rally in Trafalgar Square tomorrow to show solidarity and support for anyone who may feel unwanted in the UK following the referendum result .. to demonstrate that they are still welcome and valued here. As quoted below:

*Organisers have called on attendees to bring native flags, national dress, music and "anything else that promotes connectness".

The group wrote on their Facebook page:"London comes together to stay connected, and the European love affair continues.

"London Stays is our mark of showing that, regardless of the EU referendum result, we stand alongside the people of Europe to show we are inclusive, open and patient to understanding how we can make the Leave decision into a positive one for all. We stay with Europe!

"If you’re outside of London we’d love for you to join us in your own towns and cities – here’s to ‘Manchester Stays’, ‘Fort William Stays’, ‘Berlin Stays, and further afield."*

I've heard rumours of a gathering in St Ann's Square in Manchester tomorrow but have had no success in getting any further details. Does anyone know more than me?

busyboysmum Mon 27-Jun-16 18:52:59

Well I was invited but it appears to have been cancelled from what I can see

PseudoBadger Mon 27-Jun-16 18:53:32

It's cancelled

highlandcoo Mon 27-Jun-16 19:04:13

Thanks both for the information smile

busyboys can I ask what you need to do to be invited? Are they not making it widely known in case the BNP or whatever turns up? Sorry if that's a daft question - I have never been on a demo before but this is something I really want to take part in.

Dinnerfor1 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:11:44

You don't need to be invited. Just search Stay Manchester on Facebook. This one has been cancelled but it says they are hoping to reschedule.

highlandcoo Mon 27-Jun-16 19:22:56

Thanks Dinner

PausingFlatly Mon 27-Jun-16 19:26:09

Thanks for raising this. I'll keep a look out for one close to me.

gunting Mon 27-Jun-16 19:31:07

Ah that's a shame. I was going to go to the Manchester one

highlandcoo Mon 27-Jun-16 22:42:06

gunting we can keep a lookout and maybe I'll see you there if they reschedule for next week smile

gunting Mon 27-Jun-16 22:44:52

High yes, representing MNers grin

I'm glad they are planning something here in the NW. I wanted to get involved in the London ones.

user1466690252 Tue 28-Jun-16 17:44:14

Hello everyone, we are running a peaceful. Campaign to share information like this online. Mumsnet hq have just picked up the details and are going to support. If you would like to King our fb page and share it so we can get the campaign going that wouod be fantastic. We are on twitter and fb this is our page. Thanks everyone

user1466690252 Tue 28-Jun-16 17:46:28

I should also add there is another thread going when plans on the start up to this have been discussed. We are at the stage where we are looking to have badges on nohatehere made up with donations to an anti racism charity in order to display our solidarity across the uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now