AIBU to think Article 50 won't ever get invoked ?

(301 Posts)
VoyageOfDad Mon 27-Jun-16 11:18:15

The referendum wasn't legally binding. There seems zero appetite with Boris and co to invoke article 50. The full reality of an exit and what it will and won't deliver seem to be becoming a bit clearer in the full light of day.

AIBU to think there is a chance nobody will ever invoke article 50 to leave the EU ?

OldManJenkins Mon 27-Jun-16 11:19:55

It would be nice if you explained what article 50 is

peachpudding Mon 27-Jun-16 11:20:47

I cant see any reason why they wouldnt? It would be like losing an election but refusing to leave No:10 , there could be riots on the streets if the result was ignored.

TheDuchyOfGrandFenwick Mon 27-Jun-16 11:23:02

I think there will be riots if we DO leave the EU.

DaemonPantalaemon Mon 27-Jun-16 11:23:28

Good Lord !!

peachpudding Mon 27-Jun-16 11:24:15

Well we have an army to protect us if groups of people try and subvert democracy.

Rosae Mon 27-Jun-16 11:24:22

Article 50 is basically our notice to the eu that we are leaving. We have to go 2 years after that. That would be the point we can't turn back.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 27-Jun-16 11:24:40

It isn't like losing a general election and refusing to leave number 10... The referendum was nothing more than a public opinion poll.

VoyageOfDad Mon 27-Jun-16 11:25:16

Article 50 is what actually starts the exit of the EU. It triggers all the negotiations to leave and has a two year limit.

Until the PM signs or verbally confirms that they want to invoke article 50 then we're still in the EU.

BishopBrennansArse Mon 27-Jun-16 11:25:23

YANBU to think that, whether or not it happens only time will tell.

peachpudding Mon 27-Jun-16 11:26:24

article 50 is the start of an unstoppable 2 year stop watch to automatically exiting the EU.

ie we will leave the eu in 2 years no matter what.

OldManJenkins Mon 27-Jun-16 11:28:31

Daemon the demon please don't use the Lords name in vein

ApocalypseSlough Mon 27-Jun-16 11:29:25

I hope you're right and I'm doing everything I can to show the politicians who would invoke it that they'd have support if they didn't.
•write to your MP
•sign the petitions calling for a re referendum
•retweet instances of consequences of leaving already noted- racism, job losses, economic measures falling etc.
•be nice to the bregreters
•don't pedal the 'too old to have a vote'
•do share instances where other countries have had referendum but not followed through.
•do share that referenda historically have been on simpler issues.

OldManJenkins Mon 27-Jun-16 11:30:21

Thank you everyone well that is why I didn't vote

ToastDemon Mon 27-Jun-16 11:30:21

Jesus christ OldManJenkins what are you on about?

missmoon Mon 27-Jun-16 11:30:58

Germany have said today that there won't be informal talks on a post-Brexit agreement until Article 50 is invoked. Obviously we (the UK) can't do that because we would lose all of our bargaining power. We are basically at an impasse.

In the meantime... the pound is at a 31-year low, banking shares are being hammered, and we have neither a government nor an opposition.

OldManJenkins Mon 27-Jun-16 11:31:05

Hey toast you are another demon coming to attack me
I need my holy water

thedogstinks Mon 27-Jun-16 11:32:11

MaryPoppins, it was a vote on a monumental change, not a poll. Governments have no obligation to act on a poll.

People, there is no way this thing won't happen. The UK has voted. We're out.

Theonslostbits Mon 27-Jun-16 11:32:35

YABU. Ignoring a democratic vote is mocking democracy. More than half of voters in this country do not want to be part of the european union. It would turn the country into chaos.

IslaMann Mon 27-Jun-16 11:32:41

oldmanjenkins it's vane not vein. Also "the Lord/God" doesn't exist. HTH

missmoon Mon 27-Jun-16 11:33:20

Not sure if my predictions are worth anything (I thought Remain would win by a good margin), but I don't think we will ever leave the EU. The economy will tank, a lot of businesses will threaten to leave, and there will be a rethink and a vote in the HoC in a few months time in favour of staying.

KidLorneRoll Mon 27-Jun-16 11:34:17

We're not out yet. The referendum is not legally binding and given the turmoil of the last few days it's looking like there is a good chance the uk will not be leaving.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 27-Jun-16 11:36:09

Thedogstinks - it is an opinion poll. It is not legally binding, it might be an opinion poll on a massive change, but an opinion poll none the less.

Floggingmolly Mon 27-Jun-16 11:36:11

It's fucking vain, you illiterate muppets.

OldManJenkins Mon 27-Jun-16 11:36:14

Isla a demon would say the Lord doesn't exist. Trying to trick me are ya? I know your game!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now