If Corbyn had campaigned for Leave . . .

(10 Posts)
HattiesBackpack Fri 24-Jun-16 20:39:39

If Corbyn had campaigned for Leave do you think the majority would have been higher? And do you think there would there be less aminosity from the Remainers now?

Just wondering . . .

WordGetsAround Fri 24-Jun-16 20:41:48

This is the most interesting post-referendum thread I've seen!

Hmmm. I think it might have been a little higher. And then he wouldn't be just about to lose his leadership.

Will be interested to see what others think.

Mistigri Fri 24-Jun-16 20:41:57

Would have changed nothing.

Labour should have sat this out. Nothing to gain by doing the Tories' dirty work - did they learn nothing from indyref?!

noeuf Fri 24-Jun-16 20:42:22

Yes and yes.

oldharrysgame Fri 24-Jun-16 20:52:15

No animosity from me. No fecking point. We've got to make this work even if it's not what I wanted.
Corbyn is so universally unpopular with non- corbynistas he might have swung it for remain if he'd come out with his real views.

claig Fri 24-Jun-16 21:01:31

'If Corbyn had campaigned for Leave do you think the majority would have been higher?'

Yes, because the unions would mainly have followed Corbyn's lead

'And do you think there would there be less aminosity from the Remainers now? '

No, because those Remainers would still feel the same about the Tories and UKIP on immigration, mainly.

While Corbyn is in favour of more control over the national economy, he is also swayed by the majority Labour internationalism over immigration, free movement of labour, globalisation and business and the two issues are essentially irreconcilable. Corbyn chose to follow the lead of his right wing Labour MPs, the Blairites etc, on globalisation and even if he had chosen differently, they would have opposed him and the media would have opposed him and reported on dissent against him.

Jayfee Fri 24-Jun-16 21:02:30

Corbyn has always been anti EU. When he said there could be no control of borders while there is free movement of people, it is obvious that would encourage Labour voters other than Londoners to vote leave. Which is what happened. Bye bye Corbyn and welcome Andy Burnham I say!

HildurOdegard Fri 24-Jun-16 21:03:46

I think it would've been higher, the animosity less and the reason being? Corbyn wouldn't have put forward the boring (and innaccurate) thought that the entire thing hung on immigration - that has been a lazy smear.

claig Fri 24-Jun-16 21:04:11

In fact, even though Corbyn backed the Blairite policy over the EU, some of them are still now about to try and launch a coup against him.

It was a no-win situation for Corbyn and now he may lose over the Referendum and over the leadership of the party.

Lighteningirll Fri 24-Jun-16 21:06:33

I would have had a lot more respect for him if he'd been honest. It may well have helped the Leave campaign but that's moot now. His position is untenable he didn't have the courage to say he wanted Leave and he didn't have the conviction to campaign effectively for Remain. Poor show all round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now