A weird question on voting rules

(9 Posts)
AlbusPercival Fri 24-Jun-16 07:33:52

Ok, bear with me, haven't slept much so this may not make much sense.

I understand in the referendum it was a straight vote, so number of "leave" vs number of "remain".

However seeing the results given in batches by what I assume was each parliamentary constituency? I wondered what the result would have been if this had been run like a general election.

i.e if each constituency as a whole had 1 vote and which way that went was defined by FPTP in that constituency.

Anyone know if any of the journos have worked that out, or if not an easy way I could.

Just think it would be an interesting exercise, especially when you consider how few people actually voted for the current government who have a sizeable majority.

chipsandpeas Fri 24-Jun-16 07:39:11

the votes were declared by each local authority so that could take in two or more constituencies
my own local authority takes in 2 MP areas, some like glasgow may have about 10 MPS (made up figure)

tabulahrasa Fri 24-Jun-16 07:40:27

The areas are council areas, so there's no way of knowing definitely by parliamentary constituency.

Someone could probably do a good guess, but that's really all it would be.

AlbusPercival Fri 24-Jun-16 08:02:28

Ah I see, thanks for explaining. Would be an interesting thought experiment for general electoral reform though. Suspect all the politicos are a bit busy today though.

Trills Fri 24-Jun-16 08:20:18

www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2016/jun/23/eu-referendum-live-results-and-analysis

Guardian has some nice pictures here - I wish they'd let us download the data

Trills Fri 24-Jun-16 08:21:44

www.electoralcommission.org.uk/find-information-by-subject/elections-and-referendums/upcoming-elections-and-referendums/eu-referendum/electorate-and-count-information Here we go - dataset to download!

AlbusPercival Fri 24-Jun-16 08:38:52

ooh thanks both, better not start playing until lunch though!

Trills Fri 24-Jun-16 08:39:05

Counting the areas it was 263 for Leave and 119 for Remain.

AlbusPercival Fri 24-Jun-16 09:18:54

I thought i might have a play and try a rough count for how many constituencies covered by each reportng area. A bit rough and ready, but perhaps worth doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now