We can leave the EU anytime

(6 Posts)
Bookaboo Thu 23-Jun-16 08:35:28

Through article 50 of the Maastricht treaty:

http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-European-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html

As they don't have to honour a leave vote, and the government could just leave anytime in the future, today's voting may as well be asking "do you like the EU, or not?"

And that would be a whole lot easier to answer!

Bookaboo Thu 23-Jun-16 08:36:29

Sorry, try link again

www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the-lisbon-treaty/treaty-on-European-union-and-comments/title-6-final-provisions/137-article-50.html

notamummy10 Thu 23-Jun-16 08:53:15

However, if we did leave the EU and it went balls up then we'd be stuck as the other EU countries would need to give their permission for us re-entering the EU. It's article 49 of the same treaty smile

Bookaboo Thu 23-Jun-16 21:57:48

Sorry, a busy day and actually forgot I created this post smile
What I'm suggesting is it doesn't matter if we don't take the opportunity to leave now, as we can still do so in the future if deemed necessary.

I expect the EU will have a balls up of its own before that happens anyway.

OutToGetYou Thu 23-Jun-16 21:59:29

And to rejoin we would undoubtedly have to go into the euro too.

Bookaboo Thu 23-Jun-16 22:55:28

If things get sufficiently bad enough for us to see the need to leave, I don't think what is involved in rejoining will be much of an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now