Remain's entire campaign discredited

(16 Posts)
BritBrit Wed 22-Jun-16 12:41:10

The 1 main argument remain have had all the way along is that tariffs will be imposed on the UK after Brexit despite the fact we buy more from the EU then they do from us, German industrial leader says they will not accept tariffs on UK goods after Brexit (as we would put tariffs on them)

The trade deficit was £23 billion Jan-March 2016 & the UK is the EU's biggest export market

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36596060

NaffOffMartha Wed 22-Jun-16 12:44:38

The UK is currently part of the EU, so I can't really follow your argument about "them" and "us".

"the UK is the EU's biggest export market" makes no sense whatsover as the EU does not 'export' to the UK.

NaffOffMartha Wed 22-Jun-16 12:45:50

Just to be clear: I'm not able to vote in the referendum and I don't have a firm opinion. So I'm not trying to shoot down your argument by any means available - I simply don't follow it.

claig Wed 22-Jun-16 12:45:50

Not surprised

Photosythesis Wed 22-Jun-16 12:56:40

1. On the other hand, while 45% of our exports go to the rest of the EU, less than 15% of their exports go to us, which increases their bargaining power.

2. It is however likely that the vast majority of tariffs will remain zero, but it's not that simple. In the modern world of fairly low tariffs even if you have to resort to WTO rules, non-tariff barriers to trade are more important. Things like government procurement rules and other regulations. That's why the single market is opens up market access on a far deeper level than any free trade deal.

We won't be staying in the single market, nor the EEA if we leave because that would entail keeping freedom of movement. We will end up with an inferior arrangement to what we have now.

BritBrit Wed 22-Jun-16 13:01:50

NaffOffMartha the point is that the UK is the biggest export market for the other EU nations, they rely on the UK market & UK consumers exporting billions more to the UK then they buy from us, this give us the economic clout to create good deal tariff free after Brexit

claig Wed 22-Jun-16 13:05:37

'NaffOffMartha the point is that'

BritBrit, please be respectful of other posters. There is no need to come out with abuse like this i.e. NaffOffMartha, for Martha.

Duckyneedsaclean Wed 22-Jun-16 13:09:04

claig, that is the username.

knottedwood Wed 22-Jun-16 13:10:27

what, bigger than India? China? germany exports more to us than to France?
Your numbers just must be wrong!

claig Wed 22-Jun-16 13:11:20

'claig, that is the username.'

I know, it was a joke grin

Sonnet Wed 22-Jun-16 13:11:50

grin at Claig

claig Wed 22-Jun-16 13:14:12

'Your numbers just must be wrong!'

They were taken from the Remain Campaign, if I am not mistaken.

Duckyneedsaclean Wed 22-Jun-16 13:14:59

Ahhhhh right. Never can tell nowadays.

claig Wed 22-Jun-16 13:15:53

'Never can tell nowadays.'

Yes, it's difficult to tell with text because you csn't get the tone.

lalalonglegs Wed 22-Jun-16 13:19:16

But a German industrialist isn't part of the German government nor the EU Commission so, while he may think it would be wrong to impose tariffs and lobby his government not to do it, he's not in a position to stop them happening confused.

knottedwood Wed 22-Jun-16 14:48:48

my comment is about logical sense!
As I read it, what's being claimed is the 27 other members of the EU, as a group, sell more to the UK than to ANY OTHER country, anywhere.
I just think this is bizarre, and profoundly implausible.
What is all this stuff?

And in any case, there is no 'EU' that does't include us... as Martha said...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now