Council messed up, now we can't vote :(

(23 Posts)
Tumtitum Tue 21-Jun-16 19:07:53

I'll try to keep a long story short! Our Council received our postal vote application three days after the postal vote, even though we sent it with plenty of time. They didn't let us know this, despite me calling to query where our votes were. They just told us to go to the town hall to collect our votes, so we did this, only to be told the above.
Now we are being told our only option is to vote at our local polling station - neither of us can do this as we are both away (separately) which has been planned for a long time, tickets paid for etc, would let other people down if we changed our plans and cost our more money.
The only option put to us was if our employer sent us away unexpectedly we could get an emergency proxy vote - we could have lied about this but this would have meant asking someone else to lie on our behalf and sign a form to this effect, which we will not do.
So effectively feel like we are being denied our vote. Anybody had any bright ideas about what we can do???

OrangesandLemonsNow Tue 21-Jun-16 19:10:31

Contact the electoratoral committee?

Tumtitum Tue 21-Jun-16 19:17:29

I'm trying to find contact details but seems pretty hard to find phone numbers, only emails which I'm sure aren't going to get answered in time... thanks for the suggestion though smile

RaeSkywalker Tue 21-Jun-16 19:19:14

I was going to say, you need to get yourself a proxy.

Tumtitum Tue 21-Jun-16 19:22:24

We can only get a proxy by an emergency one. Which essentially means asking someone to lie for us (can't be family, who would gladly lie for us! ;) )

RaeSkywalker Tue 21-Jun-16 19:24:27

Yes, I think you need to get a friend on board.

bkgirl Tue 21-Jun-16 19:45:13

Don't do anything illegal - not only is it not worth it if you are caught but it's bad karma! Whatever way you are voting, someone on the other side will be in the same boat. You will cancel each other out!

Tumtitum Tue 21-Jun-16 19:56:48

We are also both heading our separate ways tomorrow morning, me with 4 month old DD, so leaves little time for bribing friends and getting forms in on time! sad absolutely bloody fuming...

TooMuchMNTime Tue 21-Jun-16 23:40:30

Have you tweeted about it? Tweet to your local council and see what tgey say. They might allow an emergency proxy vote.

Cunties Tue 21-Jun-16 23:44:16

Nick an old persons vote. My niece is 16 and is using her grandads vote - he is happy to do this as he wouldn't have voted otherwise. Know any non voting oldies? 😀

OrangesandLemonsNow Wed 22-Jun-16 04:35:46

Nick an old persons vote. My niece is 16 and is using her grandads vote - he is happy to do this as he wouldn't have voted otherwise. Know any non voting oldies?

That is completely against the law!

Can't even believe you think it is ok. It's illegal and can get you into a lot of trouble.

Tumtitum Wed 22-Jun-16 05:25:14

Toomuch - I don't really understand tweeting to be honest! confused

Ememem84 Wed 22-Jun-16 06:49:05

I may be wrong but I thought the law re post was that once something had been posted "Entrusted to the postman" it was deemed to be recieved.

LadyStarkOfWinterfell Wed 22-Jun-16 06:52:00

How can your niece nick your grandad' vote? Presumably he has a man's name?

CoolforKittyCats Wed 22-Jun-16 07:00:31

How can your niece nick your grandad' vote? Presumably he has a man's name?

Plus a) it's fraud so a crime and illegal. b) she isn't old enough tof vote

Footle Wed 22-Jun-16 07:00:32

Does your niece plan to turn up at the polling station and tell them she is Derek Hornswoggle ?

WhirlwindHugs Wed 22-Jun-16 07:02:51

What time do you have to leave? I plan to be at the polls at 7am as we've got sick lids at home to juggle.

Otherwise not sure what yoh can do, we got left off the register once (cock up by electoral bods when we moved) and were not allowed to vote.

WhirlwindHugs Wed 22-Jun-16 07:04:18

*kids!

LadyStarkOfWinterfell Wed 22-Jun-16 07:07:21

Yeah that too
(One of my brothers voted for another one once, the older had forgotten to register in his new town so was registered at home and the 16 year old voted on his behalf. I know it's illegal but he gave permission, but this wouldn't work with an old fella and a young woman)

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 22-Jun-16 07:13:06

Presumably she is just going to tell her Grandad what to vote and he is going to do it for her. Anyway back to the OP if you are voting different ways then just leave it as you will cancel each other out. If you were planning on voting the same way I don't know but I do know people who turn up at the civic centre and refuse to leave until they have spoken to the right person get remarkably good results in my town.

Tumtitum Wed 22-Jun-16 08:01:34

I'm leaving today so can't rush to vote first. We were both voting the same way! My mum however was voting leave but has said she doesn't actually really care that much so will vote in for me! We just need someone to switch for my husband now! ;)
I did consider refusing to leave the town hall yesterday but we had DD with us and the parking had run out on the metre!
I'm going to call the electoral commission this morning but as me and DD leave at 10am to get our train I'm not sure there's much they could do anyway as we won't be around to sign anything etc.
We'll see, I'll update if i get anywhere!

Tumtitum Wed 22-Jun-16 08:01:45

Thanks for all the suggestions smile

Cunties Wed 22-Jun-16 08:38:43

He wasn't going to vote, so he will now vote whichever way she decides. I've a feeling it's the same way anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now