There are trustworthy facts available, according to a professor of EU law

(19 Posts)
Wellthatsit Mon 20-Jun-16 22:37:20

People have been crying out for facts. This video is going viral and claims to have lots of clear facts. It's easy to understand.

https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2016/06/20/eu-law-expert-responds-industrial-dishonesty-video-goes-viral/

Pangurban1 Mon 20-Jun-16 23:05:30

www.facebook.com/UniversityofLiverpool/videos/vb.130437690316977/1293361974024537/?type=2&theater

Is this the chappie you mean. Your link doesn't work. Apologies if the wrong fellow.

claig Mon 20-Jun-16 23:59:30

'Is this the chappie you mean?'

I haven't clicked on the link. Could someone clarify if the facts are from a Nigel Farage video because I have already seen that one? I agree, it is trustworthy.

claig Tue 21-Jun-16 00:19:43

I think this is the video that is going viral

It i called "Nigel Farage - The Truth about the European Union"

Warning, there are lots of truths on one side, and lots of EU mates of Cameron on the other side.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOyxbppKkbo

AnnaForbes Tue 21-Jun-16 00:29:15

Op, you have linked to that video on at least two other threads.

Rattitude Tue 21-Jun-16 00:36:47

Claig, no, you are mistaken.

It is not the Nigel Farage video. It is made by a real expert in his field instead. Strangely enough, he is pro-Remain... wink

OrangesandLemonsNow Tue 21-Jun-16 00:37:53

OP you are spamming that video all over the place.

Rattitude Tue 21-Jun-16 00:43:14

Actually, I much prefer facts from experts being 'spammed' (as you call it) rather than the same half-truths, complete lies and empty promises being repeatedly endlessly on threads by pro-leave campaigners.

This video deserves to be viewed by anybody who is interested in this referendum.

claig Tue 21-Jun-16 00:44:29

'It is not the Nigel Farage video. It is made by a real expert in his field instead. Strangely enough, he is pro-Remain...'

OK, thanks, sounds like it is a video to avoid then wink

Rattitude Tue 21-Jun-16 00:54:22

Claig, exactly, I wanted to forewarn you! I did not want to waste your time as I am sure you are quite busy at present...

Wellthatsit Tue 21-Jun-16 07:19:07

what? I am not spamming the video all over the place. I have posted it here, once.

Wellthatsit Tue 21-Jun-16 07:33:32

Thanks Pangurben, that is the link.

Wellthatsit Tue 21-Jun-16 14:19:54

Ah well, I guess not very many people are interested in hearing well researched and unbiased facts, despite all their protestations, given the lack of traffic on this thread.

MedSchoolRat Tue 21-Jun-16 15:02:06

I posted links to Prof Dougan twice, too. (perhaps 3x = spam?)
I liked the video a lot too (but I would like it as an academic). I didn't understand every word, I'm not a lawyer or business person either.

Especially good when he explained that tariffs were irrelevant & the true hurdle to free trade is compromises in regulatory frameworks; this is why the EU has so many "petty" rules and regulations. I suddenly saw value of all that. Also the explanation of how EU decision making follows consensus and power of "the Big 3".

His description of how the UK cleverly piggybacks leverage b/c of access to the single market was good, too. That fits with me understanding how we are mostly a service economy rather than manufacturers/growers.

Consensus as main style of political decision making is so alien to UK, I guess that's why folk hate it.

Seems to me like most the controversy in TTIP is about aligning regulatory frameworks, too. That's why TTIP is stalling.

Dougan is the exact type of guy UK will need to negotiate half-decent trade deals, post-Brexit. I don't think there are enough guys like him available. sad

Wellthatsit Tue 21-Jun-16 15:11:15

If you posted it already I can see why people maybe thought I was 'spamming' them. Oh well. I guess it's like a lot of things: people are drawn to things that confirm their own stance and prejudices and shy away from things that challenge them.

It's just frustrating that people claim to want facts when they don't.

Concensus politics is so hated here that people are prepared to throw away all that is good on the principle of 'not being told what to do'.

The Lib Dems got hung out to dry for forming a coalition, even by their own supporters, who, by definition, should have been in support of coalitions.

Wellthatsit Tue 21-Jun-16 15:12:46

As in, coalitions = concensus politics

MedSchoolRat Tue 21-Jun-16 15:17:57

I know exactly what you mean about the LibDems... they did the sensible option & got punished badly for it.

Today's story about Soros... Not a threat but a promise. If we vote Brexit then Soros will find some way to make millions (billions?) out of the pound falling in value. I wondered if Soros actually felt unhappy about being villified after 1992 raid on Bank of England, so he assuaged his conscience by warning us this time.

I wonder how many people Soros is lining up to execute this plan... and then I wonder if ordinary people like me could find a way to cash in (eek, naughty girl, but can you blame me...).

Wellthatsit Tue 21-Jun-16 15:26:43

grin

Wellthatsit Tue 21-Jun-16 15:27:08

But also sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now