Nobody in family voting?

(21 Posts)
NewLife4Me Wed 15-Jun-16 22:15:24

Just wondered if anybody has a family where nobody is voting.

Me, dh, ils, ds1 and partner, Ds2 and gf.
In fact I'm hearing lots of people saying they cba, or don't mind either way, or other reasons.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:20:05

I don't know any families where no one is voting. Although I think I understand why people don't want to vote.

SingaSong12 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:33:58

Can't be sure, even I see them go in people may spoil the ballot paper. I will be voting. I personally feel I should vote for all the elections/referendums because it is a privilege a lot of people are still fighting for.

On the other hand I don't think that it should be compulsory either - in my opinion part of democracy is the right to choose not to take part.

RebelRogue Thu 16-Jun-16 08:18:30

Ours.. I'm not allowed, dd is only 4 and OH never votes for anything

SuburbanRhonda Thu 16-Jun-16 08:26:21

No, everyone is voting in our house except DS, who is desperate to vote but will be two months too young.

Women died to give us the vote - I consider it a privilege to be able to.

fortifiedwithtea Thu 16-Jun-16 08:33:06

Women died to give us the vote - I consider it a privilege to be able to.
^^
This

But in our house our votes are cancelling each other out. DD1 would love to vote but misses out, August birthday.

SuburbanRhonda Thu 16-Jun-16 08:35:30

Same with DS, tea.

He's very political and is gutted not to be able to vote in such an important referendum that could have a massive impact on his life.

ChaostheCat Thu 16-Jun-16 09:07:24

As PP has said people died so we are able to vote, I consider it a privilege too. I also think people shouldn't complain about the outcome if they don't vote. Your vote is your opportunity to register your opinion for your desired result.

Dolly80 Thu 16-Jun-16 09:48:17

I feel really conflicted about voting. I've used my vote in every other election due to, as others have said, being privileged enough to have one. I realise people fought for me to be able to do so and people around the world continue to fight for such rights.

But...despite reading up on both the leave & remain campaigns, reading threads on here, discussing with friends I still don't feel I have enough factual** information to be able to make an informed choice. In all honesty, I think both sides are using fear, dubious data and bullshit to push their respective agendas.

Maybe I should go but spoil the ballot paper?

SuburbanRhonda Thu 16-Jun-16 09:56:15

If you spoil your ballot paper it's like saying you disagree with all aspects of the referendum.

However I completely agree that information on both sides has been partisan and particularly helpful at all to the average voter.

If I genuinely had no idea how to vote, I would vote Remain as that way you haven't voted for a change you don't know enough about to support.

<waits for Leave voters to pile in>

SuburbanRhonda Thu 16-Jun-16 09:56:51

* not particularly helpful

gamerchick Thu 16-Jun-16 09:59:11

all mine have asked me what I'm voting for in the brexit hmm

shinytorch2 Thu 16-Jun-16 09:59:14

It's your vote to do what you want with including exercising your right to not vote.!

rainbowstardrops Thu 16-Jun-16 10:07:05

You can choose not to vote but in my view, you can't then moan about the state of things.

I can't imagine not voting. It's important.

RiverTam Thu 16-Jun-16 10:16:41

Everyone is my immediate family always votes, thiught my aunt spoils her paper (don't know if she will for this), she never moans about anything though. I honestly think that it should be the law to vote, I feel less of people who won't vote, I have to admit.

Dolly80 Thu 16-Jun-16 10:18:06

I agree it's important but it's difficult to vote for or against something when you don't feel educated enough about your options (despite trying to educate yourself) I've a week to decide what to do!

Dolly80 Thu 16-Jun-16 10:26:57

So I've done one of those tests to see if I'm remain or leave...it's really helped me grin

IrenetheQuaint Thu 16-Jun-16 10:34:15

Haha Dolly!

I think not voting is fine, if you're happy with either option and/or don't think the result will change much anyway.

shitchef Thu 16-Jun-16 12:36:22

Dolly grin

I'm generally on the 'women died to get us the vote' side of the debate (I have arguments with my dad who thinks there's no point in him voting in GEs because he lives in a safe seat and my argument is that at least he'll reduce the majority of the win) but with the EU ref I think it's fine to not vote if you feel you don't understand the issues. I think that's quite a mature decision actually.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Thu 16-Jun-16 13:18:49

Everyone I know who can vote is voting

It's quite split how they are voting most have now made their decision how to vote

NewLife4Me Fri 17-Jun-16 17:14:58

i don't want a referendum in the first place, don't want any part of it and this includes spoiling the paper.
This seems to be what I'm hearing from lots of people. I think the turn out will be very poor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now