What is your most selfish reason for wanting the result you want?

(129 Posts)
whydidhesaythat Sun 12-Jun-16 19:37:30

I want in because I am a lawyer and I would have to learn lots of new laws if we left

My mum wants out because she likes to get one over on me

Limer Sun 12-Jun-16 21:38:19

I guess my most selfish reason is that I'm fascinated by politics, and relish the idea of lots going on politically (at both the EU and UK levels).

FuzzyWizard Sun 12-Jun-16 21:41:51

I'd like the holiday I'm planning to book in a few weeks to benefit from a stronger pound after an "in" vote rather than suffer from a weaker one following an "out" vote. I know exchange rate fluctuations will likely be temporary but I'm booking my holiday soonish.

Bromeliad Sun 12-Jun-16 22:03:18

That my field of science (popular & headline grabbing) will still exist in this country in a years time. I know a huge number of people who's jobs will disappear if we leave and close the borders as they are directly funded by the EU.

Figgygal Sun 12-Jun-16 22:06:02

Selfish reason to vote remain - That the new house I'm due to move into at start of July isn't already in negative equity by the time we walk in the door due to this potential 20% house price drop if we vote out

Bromeliad Sun 12-Jun-16 22:06:03

(And no, we won't get that money back from regaining the money we send to the EU. We currently get a hugely disproportionate amount back.)

Cookingongas Sun 12-Jun-16 22:07:28

My best friend lives in the eu. I wish her an easy life - and like being able to freely easily and cheaply visit one another

ApplesTheHare Sun 12-Jun-16 22:09:10

Selfishly voting in because I want life to be easier financially. I can't face a recession and stagnant housing market.

whydidhesaythat Sun 12-Jun-16 22:42:42

oooooh the holiday money thing. ......... hadn't thought of that

80sMum Sun 12-Jun-16 22:53:22

I want to Remain for all sorts of reasons. One of the most important is to protect the environment. I live near some beautiful areas of countryside that are protected by EU regulations and their upkeep part funded by EU grants. I want to continue to enjoy them.

I think it could be disastrous for the environment in this country if we leave the EU.

whydidhesaythat Sun 12-Jun-16 22:55:00

That is not selfish enough for the thread. sorry

KellyElly Sun 12-Jun-16 22:55:25

I'm moving to Spain next year to be with my Spanish partner. Freedom of movement will make this much easier than having to deal with visas etc.

whydidhesaythat Sun 12-Jun-16 22:58:09

Ooh kelly move quick!

sixinabed Sun 12-Jun-16 22:58:37

I want to move to another EU country.

YourPerception Sun 12-Jun-16 23:02:03

I want to leave. It's selfish because I don't want the sort of EU leaders that appear in my nightmares.

mamalovebird Sun 12-Jun-16 23:07:10

I want to keep my job that is going to pay for my kitchen extension.

EssentialHummus Sun 12-Jun-16 23:08:05

I'm a Polish national living in the UK, and I want to be able to stay here.

EmilyDickinson Sun 12-Jun-16 23:14:29

I've got lots of good reasons for voting remain but my most selfish one is that my children currently have EU/British passports. They're entitled to EU/other EU country passports. If Britain leaves the EU then I'll feel that I ought to get them EU/other EU country passports, which will be a huge faff. And, given that I've just renewed one of their passports, really annoying.

Other selfish reason, we have a holiday booked in an EU country and haven't yet bought our euros. Exchange rates will be rubbish if we leave, they're already suffering in anticipation. Wish we'd been organised and bought euros 6 months ago.

treaclesoda Sun 12-Jun-16 23:16:45

I want to stay in because I live in the one part of the UK with a land border with another EU country. The border has changed so much, for the better, in the past 20 years (admittedly for non EU reasons) and I would like it to stay that way.

Tiggywinkler Sun 12-Jun-16 23:24:10

I love teaching Polish kids. They're my favourites.

I'm voting remain.

ForHarry Sun 12-Jun-16 23:29:08

I am a paragon and am voting for the greater good.

Now I am concerned I may be like a villager from Hot Fuzz..

Only1scoop Sun 12-Jun-16 23:31:46

Buying DF again every time we fly back into UK

shitchef Mon 13-Jun-16 13:12:09

I want to leave and I really hope the threat of leaving is keeping DC and GO awake at night and generally stressing them out. I normally reserve hatred for people who've committed horrendous crimes but I'll make an exception for them. blush

Goldrill Mon 13-Jun-16 13:19:03

I'd quite like to stay because my job is implementing an EU Directive. Which I very much like and think is generally an excellent force for good in this world.

And I know everyone says we would have the same environmental standards if we left, but I think that's rather massively unlikely.

And DH's job also depends on a daughter directive. As do most of my friends' jobs.

Gillywestinghaus Mon 13-Jun-16 13:24:51

I am secretly wanting us to leave because my husband says the housing market will collapse and then we will be able to afford somewhere with a nicer garden.blush

I'm voting stay though, because I'm not a nob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now