Is this referendum tearing us apart?

(8 Posts)
LittleMissBossyBoots Tue 07-Jun-16 15:46:01

I feel like it is. It seems to be bringing out the worst in everyone and setting everyone against each other. I fear the consequences on 24th because there's going to be a lot of very angry people whatever the result.

Within my own family and friends I'm seeing huge fractures appear and it's getting worse as it gets closer.

Anyone else worried?

PotatosMum Tue 07-Jun-16 15:49:36

Nope, people have their opinions and disagreeing is perfectly acceptable.

The thing about voting is that the majority carries the vote so there's no point getting angry afterwards.

I'm for vote leave but lots of people I know want to stay. Fair enough, we all get to have our say on the day smile

shitchef Tue 07-Jun-16 15:55:44

I think politically it will tear the country apart (which may or may not be a good thing). Personally, I don't discuss the referendum with friends and have no idea what they will vote, I think you're best just discussing it with people who have similar views to yourself really - I've come to the conclusion that those who've already made up their minds will be pissed off with someone trying to convert them and those who haven't will feel you're trying to brainwash them.

Discuss the weather instead.

LittleMissBossyBoots Tue 07-Jun-16 16:18:02

I never discuss it myself, too chicken to stick my head above the parapet. It's what I'm observing from others that worries me and just the sense I get that the result won't be taken well by certain factions.

Spinflight Tue 07-Jun-16 19:51:03

Quite the opposite,

I personally think it will bring people closer together.

There is nothing odd about seeing Farage and Kate Hoey sharing a platform. They may be poles apart politically but they fundamentally believe in the same things, it is an attitude rather than an ideology.

That same attitude, towards self reliance and confidence in the Great British public is far more persuasive than some old left / right rivalry.

The tactics and language used tells us a lot about the public. Remain seek to frighten and browbeat their inferiors into toeing their line, they assume respect for authority ( though they seem to confuse a political appointment with an expert) and hope we'll tug our forelocks and know our place.

Leave on the other hand seek to lead and persuade, ask us to trust ourselves in any eventuality and take our rightful place in the world.

I would much rather see the Leavers uniting across political boundaries at the next election.

Shortninbread Tue 07-Jun-16 20:14:14

A lot of Scots reported a renewed sense of energy, clarity and vision in politics after their referendum.

I think it is good to question and not plod along apathetically with the status quo. One thing that both sides agree on is that the current situation needs scrutiny.

British politics is a great thing! Don't be afraid of it wink

0phelia Tue 07-Jun-16 21:02:59

We might well see a tearing apart of the two main political parties in the UK after the ref.

The Tory party will be likely split in two between Hard-Right Leavers and Gravy Train Centrists Stayers in the Tories.

We are seeing the split in the Labour party already over Corbyn. The principled Left-Wingers against the Gravy Train Centrists (Blairites).

Maybe in the coming years we will actually see democratic landscape truly covering principles of Left Wing politics, Right wing politics and corporate centre ground politics rather than what we have now.

Maybe a tear-apart or two will be a bloody good thing for British politics.

Winterbiscuit Wed 08-Jun-16 19:32:16

What Spinflight said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now