BBC reporting pro EU MP's are planning to ignore a Leave vote

(9 Posts)
BritBrit Mon 06-Jun-16 07:13:52

Pro EU MP's who have a majority in the Commons are planning to ignore a leave vote & vote to keep us in the single market (immigration, billion in fees etc) against the will of the British people if they vote to leave

Thoughts? what do you think would happen if they tried to ignore & overrule what British people voted?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36457120

shitchef Mon 06-Jun-16 12:26:32

I think there would be rioting on the streets. Whatever people are voting, we've all put up with a lot of referendum shit/waste of public money over the last few months so if the result was ignored I think people would be extremely angry. And I'd hope that even Remainers would see the injustice of it.

unexpsoc Mon 06-Jun-16 12:48:48

I think read the story and what it is saying.

Nobody is suggesting that MPs will overrule the vote of the British People. The key argument I hear used time and again is that we should "take back control of our country". Well, our country has a system of representative democracy. YOU voted for the current MPs if you live in the UK to act on your behalf.

If we leave the EU, who do you THINK will be negotiating on your behalf? Our government - you know, the people you want to have more power.

Or did you think Frank who holds court whilst drinking fizzy lager down at the "Stringemup or Dontlethem Inn" would suddenly be negotiating on your behalf?

Chalalala Mon 06-Jun-16 13:36:31

In the scenario Britain would leave the EU, which is what people would have voted for.

Not Parliament's fault if "Leave" never made it clear that leaving the EU could still mean EU immigration. This is what you get when you run a misleading campaign, and tell people that they can have their cake and eat it too.

The "Leave" campaign have been pretending that Britain could both leave the EU, and keep free trade with the EU.

But as they know full well, the EEA/single market is the only way of achieving this.

I think there would be rioting on the streets.

Britain would be getting its full independence and sovereignty back in this scenario... do you think British people would start purely anti-immigration riots? I don't.

shitchef Mon 06-Jun-16 14:10:58

Sorry, I confused single market with EU. I think that if we voted to leave, we'd still be negotiating by the next GE and people would be carefully questioning potential GE candidates on their EU views. For what it's worth I think the EU will change a lot in those couple of years and what's up for negotiation could completely change.

I think the EU will be unrecognisable in a few short years because of migration, a shift to the right politically, collapse of the Euro etc. which is why I really don't get why Remain are marketing themselves as the 'safe' no risk option.

Chalalala Mon 06-Jun-16 14:21:28

not your fault shitchef, it's the OP who confused the two first

Pangurban1 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:32:27

The referendum is on the UK's membership of the European Union. If there was a majority vote to leave the membership of the EU, and and the UK ceased to be a member, that is acting on the will of the majority of the electorate.

In the event of brexit negotiations still going on in 2020, I'd imagine that people would be feeling a pinch. Sterling has fallen already. And with 4 more years of this gov't too (I don't know how it would survive).

However that is in the event of a brexit. It may be that a majority vote to retain membership.

Interesting times.

Winterbiscuit Mon 06-Jun-16 16:58:21

First things first.

Certainly voting to remain isn't going to get rid of the things we dislike about the EU, so I don't think this update makes any difference for the time being. I wonder if some people are trying to distract us from the referendum.

But if that happens later, then there will certainly be a fuss to be made!

Mistigri Mon 06-Jun-16 18:49:28

There are many longstanding eurosceptics who are actually campaigning in favour of a Norway model, and who are angry that the referendum has been made all about immigration.

I like this Stephen Kinnock quote from the OP's link:

In a sense it's a lose-lose situation. I don't see how you untie that Gordian knot because you're looking at a massive economic crisis going down the track of the Canada model and a constitutional crisis going down the track of the Norway model.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now