Video shows how families are better off in Europe

(11 Posts)
plantsitter Fri 27-May-16 14:13:10

here

I am not a political campaigner (unlike some of the posters in this topic...). Just want to see some balance here.

Turbinaria Fri 27-May-16 15:41:55

I remember interailing around Europe in 1989 as a 20 year old student without any problems including the former Yugoslavia and didn't need visas etc. My passport was checked but only stamped in Greece and Yogoslavia Not sure why today's youth think it's only being in the EU in its current form allows you to do this.

ThisCakeFilledIsle Fri 27-May-16 15:52:49

Well as my eldest child wants to work as an engineer in industry and EU legislation and energy policy is adding to cost base of relevant sectors, EU is not helping their job prospects and this is perhaps even an incentive to me to leave. Food prices I suspect might be lower outside protectionist EU but I haven't got a definitive answer.
As to travel: I too travelled before the advent of the EU. Passports would collect interesting stamps but I can't recall particular problems.

Turbinaria Fri 27-May-16 15:57:14

Oh yes the interesting stamps from different countries I was always a bit miffed they didn't stamp my passport in all the countries I went to.
The video is very simplistic and probably aimed at a 4 year old but I found it patronising in the extreme.

plantsitter Fri 27-May-16 15:58:15

Did you work in Europe when you travelled pre-EU? Did you need medical care?

plantsitter Fri 27-May-16 15:59:13

I must admit it is slightly patronising grin

ThisCakeFilledIsle Fri 27-May-16 15:59:51

I did. I paid locally for basic medical care as I believe I would today ( france) otherwise I bought insurance.

ThisCakeFilledIsle Fri 27-May-16 16:05:34

I don't know about patronising. Short adverts like this are bound to be broad brush!

StepintotheLightleave Fri 27-May-16 16:07:18

My family has suffered greatly - inter railing wont make up for this and you can still travel round europe pre workers movement rights anyway.

Turbinaria Fri 27-May-16 16:07:35

I think there was basic medical care you could access freely and I remember carry a letter you got from Government to verified you was a British citizen but I also paid holiday insurance as today for further medical treatment and repatriation if needed. But this is still what we do today

StepintotheLightleave Fri 27-May-16 16:10:28

same here Turbina, DF was refused treatment until they had his medical insurance details in Malta and we were given lengthy interview when DD had accident in france which we were then billed for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now