Think tank today warning of more austerity if Brexit are EU funded

(23 Posts)
BritBrit Wed 25-May-16 10:03:31

Institute for Fiscal affairs have been all over the news & papers warning that austerity will be extended if we Brexit

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36371700

It turns out they are EU funded & got €7.4 million in funding from the EU (really UK taxpayer money). Do they really think voters are that stupid & that can't see what is going on a bit like the IMF who get EU funding & are also bailing out Greece, they all have vested interests in the UK staying in the EU

order-order.com/2016/05/13/eu-paid-e160-million-to-pro-remain-groups/

Branleuse Wed 25-May-16 10:06:11

lots of people have vested interests in britain staying in the EU. Thats the whole point. The entire british public have strong interests with regards to staying in the EU, and the think-tank research is showing even more evidence.

Winterbiscuit Wed 25-May-16 16:37:25

*The entire british public have strong interests with regards to staying in the EU

I don't see it this way. Democracy and sovereignty are my main interests in leaving the EU.

Banderwassnatched Wed 25-May-16 16:40:14

18% off house prices? Have to admit, it would be ALL OUR CHRISTMASSES in chez Bander.

SocialDisaster Wed 25-May-16 16:40:15

I am avoiding the news now. I am fed up of this shit and scaremongering.

Branleuse Wed 25-May-16 17:03:07

are you going to also campaign to remove the house of lords and the royal family too as undemocratic? Or reform the voting system to be more democratic (that was voted against ofc)

The british public has no real interest in democracy. This is purely xenophobia and nostalgia for good old days that never really were.

Banderwassnatched Wed 25-May-16 17:06:57

are you going to also campaign to remove the house of lords and the royal family too as undemocratic?

I find three kids and a job monopolises my time- my shameful excuse for not campaigning on every little thing that matters to me. But if I felt I had time- hell to the yes I would. Especially the Royals. Turns my stomach- it's 2016 and we still have a monarchy.

Winterbiscuit Wed 25-May-16 17:47:40

This is purely xenophobia and nostalgia for good old days that never really were.

Not at all. What does "xenophobia" have to do with democracy? confused I've heard it mentioned with reference to immigration, but even there it's an unfair accusation. If we're able to decide on migration within our own country, we could accept as many, or more, refugees and economic migrants as is currently the case. And that would be our choice.

There have been ongoing drives to reform the Lords and electoral system and yes, it's quite possible to support those at the same time as wanting to leave the EU and its layers of beaurocracy that remove politics as far as possible from the ordinary citizen.

As for the "good old days", if you're talking about a time when there was no Maastricht Treaty, euro, EU flag, unelected Commission or President Juncker, then yes they were better days in that respect. If we hadn't joined the EU, then of course things would have progressed to the present day, arguably more beneficially than they have in the EU. Like other non-EU countries, we wouldn't just have stopped in 1973!

Brexit is about looking forward, to a better future that we decide ourselves. There may be some small downturn in the economy but no more than our country has survived before (and no, I'm not well off). People ask "what does leave look like?" and the answer is that it will be what we make it. If we don't like the laws of our land we'll be able to get them repealed, and vote in a different government, rather than all Westminster laws permanently replaced by EU laws in which we only get a fraction of a say.

Banderwassnatched Wed 25-May-16 17:54:41

as many, or more, refugees and economic migrants

For the benefit of our public finances generally, and the pension gap- the more the better. We could do with more.

makingmiracles Wed 25-May-16 18:00:54

This whole austerity thing made me LOL when I heard it on the radio, how do they expect us to believe that when every day we have to pay billions to the EU to be members!? Surely by not being in the EU and not having to pay membership there's billions of pounds extra money to do stuff with??!

Banderwassnatched Wed 25-May-16 18:04:22

Mm- being in the EU comes with a package of benefits that is itself worth billions- think of it as subscribing to a service- we are buying things from which we gain practical and financial benefits.

Winterbiscuit Wed 25-May-16 18:53:31

Why not just keep the money in the UK in the first place and spend it on the priorities that we decide, rather than Brussels telling us how to spend it?

SpringingIntoAction Wed 25-May-16 21:42:29

The british public has no real interest in democracy.

You don't appreciate what you've lost until it's gone.

Sadly

Limer Thu 26-May-16 00:07:07

For the benefit of our public finances generally, and the pension gap- the more the better. We could do with more.

How many more? Until there's standing room only? The Ponzi scheme of importing labour can't go on for ever. The more we import now, the more our children will need to import in the future.

The country certainly needs some skilled immigrants. If only we could actually select from the whole world, rather than having no say at all in who chooses to move here from the EU, and then makes free use of our welfare, social housing and public services.

disappoint15 Thu 26-May-16 00:36:59

Well if I were you Limer I would start off by kicking out your children as I bet they have never contributed a penny to our economy and are nothing but a drain on our public services. Think of immigrants as children - they haven't contributed yet but they will. Does that help?

Limer Thu 26-May-16 07:21:35

Unlimited numbers disappoint15 regardless of skills or education? What's your top limit? Where are you planning on housing them all?

Palehorse Thu 26-May-16 10:08:02

are you going to also campaign to remove the house of lords and the royal family too as undemocratic?

oh Branleuse you really don't get it do you. Let me break down the Brexiter logic:

Directly elected MEPs/EU commissioners appointed on 5 year terms by democratic member states/head of commission voted into place by MEPs/member states, MEPs, and the Commissioners themselves putting forward legislation that the Commission then puts before the EU parliament to be voted into law (or not) = BAD ANTI-DEMOCRACY

Lords who have inherited their right to rule over us ('cos there veeerry distant ancestor pleased a looong dead monarch), or Lords who have chums in the right places to get them in and/or they sat in the commons for so long it's their natural right to rule, not to mention our 'constitutional' monarchy = GOOD TRADITIONAL REAL DEMOCRACY

HTH wink

Branleuse Thu 26-May-16 10:54:58

Thanks for that Palehorse. As I suspected smile

We all know the EU isnt perfect. Noone is trying to say it is, but its done us and continues to do us a shit load of wonderful things, and I am absolutely astounded that so many people want to trust our human rights and workers rights to the bloody tories.

The only good thing about this whole referendum is that its motivating the public politically, but I hope to god that momentum translates into improving the actual country afterwards rather than just handing everything to boris fucking johnson

Banderwassnatched Thu 26-May-16 11:03:55

Hold your horses. I'll have Brexit, and a Republic, and the abolition of the Lords, and electoral reform, and while we're about it- God out of schools please thanks.

'Brexiters' are not one generic whole. Yes I'd destroy the institution of the EU. If it were up to me, I'd destroy the institution of the UK too. But I'd destroy the institution of the church first.

STIDW Thu 26-May-16 12:02:01

It turns out they are EU funded & got €7.4 million in funding from the EU (really UK taxpayer money). Do they really think voters are that stupid & that can't see what is going on a bit like the IMF who get EU funding

Double standards from some Brexiters - damning the report when Gove, IDS, Patel & others previously hailed the IFS as "fantastic", "fair" & "independent."

As it happens the funding for this particular report came from the UK’s ESRC, not the EU. Andrew Lilico, chair of Vote Leave’s Economists for Brexit (& a former IFS economist) tweets that the IFS “is not a paid up propaganda arm of the EU”. It is possible to be funded by the EU without being biased in favour of the EU eg EU-funded MEPs Nigel Farage & Daniel Hannan.

Winterbiscuit Thu 26-May-16 13:03:33

Banderwassnatched well said. Of course it's possible to want to see change in our own country as well as feel it's best to leave the EU. I certainly think we have more chance of change here if we're 100 per cent focused on it, instead of also having to deal with trying unsuccessfully to reform the creaking EU.

Palehorse Thu 26-May-16 14:54:08

Apologies Banderwassnatched and winter, was just being lighthearted.
God save the queen (and the fascist regime) wink

Winterbiscuit Thu 26-May-16 15:01:05

Sorry Palehorse! Don't always recognise humour when it's right in front of me on here grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now