Should I Invite the Neighbours?

(7 Posts)
MrsToffee Tue 23-Aug-16 10:37:48

We are having a housewarming soon and have been a bit overwhelmed with the number of our friends who can actually make it, they're usually a busy bunch, and I'm a bit worried about catering for them all, we said we'd have a bbq thinking about 10 would be able to come out of 25 invited, it's looking closer to 20, aaargh but we'll manage I'm sure confused!

We were going to invite the neighbours but I'm a bit put off now as it's potentially 4 extra people. They're not particularly friendly, have spoken to us maybe twice since we moved in 2 months ago and one set ignored DH when he said hello on our moving day.
DH thinks we should just not invite them so would that be really rude, or I could leave it till a few days before and hope they're busy, or just suck it up and invite them.

Glamorousglitter Tue 23-Aug-16 10:40:27

Could you do another BBQ for the neighbours and get to know them? You re going to live beside them for a long time. I think I d invite them to something, maybe if y'all your friends are going to be there it could be overwhelming and you probably won't get to know or talk to them if you re hosting everyone, so maybe a smaller gathering would be an option?
I d make the effort though as good neighbours are worth it

MrsToffee Tue 23-Aug-16 11:09:22

We don't have another weekend free now until October so a bbq would be out of the question but like the idea of inviting them to something different.
We definitely want to get on with them, we loved our old neighbours and are still good friends with them but these neighbours are quite a bit older than us and I think they generally just keep to themselves.

allthecarbs Tue 23-Aug-16 11:10:41

I'd invite them. They probably won't come but if they do a bit of alcohol might lubricate the conversation.

MrsToffee Wed 24-Aug-16 14:28:16

So one vote for and one against, would it be ok to invite them but try and suggest they come in the evening for drinks?

BertPuttocks Wed 24-Aug-16 14:33:27

My neighbours often have a bbq. They usually let us know if it's likely to be noisy or run late but otherwise it's entirely their business. It would never occur to me to think that I should be invited.

I would just invite your friends and leave it at that.

MrsToffee Wed 24-Aug-16 16:16:18

Thanks Bert, ordinarily I'd do the same as your neighbours but thought seeing as it's a kind of party we should invite them. I have very little reference as growing up we had a shop on one side and a vvv elderly lady on the other, then in our last house a relative on one side and neighbours who went out of their way to be friendly on the other!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now