Why is his letters coming to our address?

(15 Posts)
butterfly92 Tue 09-Aug-16 19:56:49

Hi all. Me and my OH live in a house with a lodger just to help out with the mortgage as we have a baby on the way and I am not in work due to pregnancy complications.
We took in a lodger who is in her 50s and she is a nice lady. Had no issues with her!
About 3 months ago we had a letter that had a different first name but the same surname as her which was odd but we asked and she said it was her husband so I thought OK then! Then another letter came from the council tax in her and her husbands name which again is weird as my partner and I pay the council tax? Then a v5 registration letter (I searched the postcode at the back of it and it was the v5 registration department), and now we just got another letter in his name from a bank, when I looked at the postcode at the back it was about a credit card! So we are now suspicious as to why she is doing this when her husband doesn't even live here! We put return to sender on all of them, and she is away until beginning of next month so we cannot ask.
Why would she be doing this? Does it sound dodgy? hmmconfused

butterfly92 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:01:04

Why ARE his letters, not is. Sorry complete grammar error there lol

aginghippy Tue 09-Aug-16 20:08:06

Yes it sounds dodgy to me. Where does he live? Why doesn't he receive his post there?

They are lying to various organisations and claiming that he lives there when he does not. I don't think there is any legit reason to do that.

Missgraeme Tue 09-Aug-16 20:11:13

His address is blacklisted for credit do he is using yours. FRAUD!!

butterfly92 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:12:47

Aginghippie absolutely no idea where he lives! That's why I am confused :/ I thought she might be using his credit card but that is not allowed is it!

Missgraeme how do we find out? My partner used to work for a bank and he said they'll automatically block his credit card unless he proves this is where he lives!

aginghippy Tue 09-Aug-16 20:23:55

I'm not sure you need to find anything out.
Speak to your lodger when she comes back. Tell her you are not happy about receiving her husband's letters and you want him to stop using your address. Continue to return his letters.

Optimist1 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:26:38

He could be overseas and she's taking care of any ongoing admin whilst he's away?

butterfly92 Tue 09-Aug-16 20:37:46

Optimist1 I doubt it as he has come here a few times!

Is it possible that they previously lived together and she has informed Royal Mail etc that this is her new address.

Most organisations that send out mail match it for 'goneaways' and if her surname is flagging as someone who has moved, the organisations may be incorrectly assuming that he has too.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 10-Aug-16 06:51:15

I think it's dodgy.

Why would they register for council tax?

cexuwaleozbu Wed 10-Aug-16 07:24:24

You could end up with a black mark on your own credit file if you don't take swift action.

Register with all the credit reference agencies (there are at least 3, possibly more) declaring that this person does not live there, has never lived there and is likely to be using the address fraudulently. Further, also declare that you have no financial association with him whatsoever.

Hopefully that will stop him from getting more credit agreements linked to your address but he probably has several already. You will have debts collectors visiting you regularly in time.

How long has your lodger been with you? If not long, she could be in cahoots with this and only lodged with you for long enough to register her name there on the electoral roll specifically so that they could then run up tens of thousands of pounds of debt (v5 probably means car finance) and then disappear. If this is what is happening she may not return at the end of the month.

Berthatydfil Wed 10-Aug-16 07:53:58

If you are paying council tax at your home and a council tax letter has come to your address for him that can only mean arrears recovery. They may already have a summons or a liability order in place.
It will be bailiffs next and once one set of debt recovery agents have him linked to your address its just a matter of time till they come knocking your door and being pregnant or with a new baby you're not going to need that level of stress.
From the other post you have received ie V5 and credit card it sounds like he's obtaining credit /finance from your address and she's in on it.
Do as other posters have advised and do a credit check on your address. I would also be reconsidering whether I would want this lodger in my home in future and would be giving her notice to leave,

ChocolateButton15 Wed 10-Aug-16 07:58:40

An address cannot be blacklisted that's a myth.

www.experian.co.uk/consumer/credit-education/common-credit-myths.html

It's more likely he's claiming to be living at your address for some reason or she's committing fraud against him. I would be asking her to leave if she can't give an explanation and also because she's taking the piss doing this without asking or explaining

Ackeeandsaltfish Tue 30-Aug-16 10:38:54

If she is committing fraud using his name she could also be applying for stuff in your names - identity fraud.

I would check with the credit agencies to see if there is unusual activity going on in your names.

Kanga59 Sat 26-Nov-16 22:03:18

interesting. how did this pan out OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now