Is it OK to send a tentative Acceptance to a party?

(5 Posts)
DiamondInTheRuff Tue 19-Jul-16 09:46:27

DH and I have just received an invitation to his Aunt's 70th birthday party. Unfortunately the party is 16 days after my due date with DC2 (we already have a 3.5 year old DS). Party is just over 3 hours drive from us.

I'm saying definitely no from me, but it would be nice if DH could attend. As a bit of background - many, many years ago there was a huge family rift with this side of the family. Bridges are now being built and this is the first time there has been an invitation like this.

I've no worries about DH going away for a long day / possibly overnight when baby is small BUT if things don't go to plan (eg I have to have a c-section) it might just not be feasible.

So is it best to just say no from both of us, or would it be OK to say "hopefully..." from DH?

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Tue 19-Jul-16 09:50:03

In your circumstances it would seem perfectly reasonable IMO to accept the invitation but clarify that there is a possibility DH won't make it if there are any complications with the birth

If you promise to keep in touch and keep them informed of your plans then I would imagine most reasonable people would be happy with that

lovelybangers Tue 19-Jul-16 09:55:12

In your situation then yes, it is fine.

If you were just holding out for a better offer/party -then no ;)

Babies don't always come when expected- and as pp says just keep aunt informed as soon as you know what is happening.

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 19-Jul-16 09:57:40

I would definitely not say no. This really might damage the tentative bridges. I'm sure they'll understand you not going if you really don't feel up to it but dh should be there. Is there no friend or other person who could step into his shoes for a day even if you're not independent by that stage?

DiamondInTheRuff Tue 19-Jul-16 10:01:22

MyKingdom I'd only ask him not to go if I'd had a really rough time of it. Both of my parents (divorced and re-married, so 2 sets of grandparents IYSWIM) live locally and will be around to help.

Thanks all, I shall send that RSVP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now