what to give as a gift to a generous hostess

(9 Posts)
CheeseEloise1 Fri 08-Jul-16 21:37:50

We are staying with friends in their mother's property in France. The mother is very much present and when we stayed previously, nothing was overlooked. Our rooms and beds were tidied/ made daily, lunch and dinner consisted of three courses of amazing food cooked by her chef. She received us very generously and we really want to show our appreciation when we go and stay with her next month for four days.
She is in her 70s. What present would you get for her to thank her? We are happy to spend up to around £80.

MoonlightandMusic Fri 08-Jul-16 23:42:53

Given it's France, how about a very decent bottle of Armagnac?

CheeseEloise1 Mon 11-Jul-16 07:52:34

That could possibly work but I was thinking about something she could keep more long-term.

Namechangenurseryconcerns Mon 11-Jul-16 07:53:54

What about some sort of plant for the garden-like a nice bay tree in a pot?

Yakari Mon 11-Jul-16 07:55:25

How about a plant for the garden, such as herbs or low maintenance flowers?
"Stuff" can sometimes just be seen as clutter and not personal taste, so I'd avoid anything ornamental.

Yakari Mon 11-Jul-16 07:55:59

Great minds namechange

Eastpoint Mon 11-Jul-16 07:59:47

Something consumable. Are you flying or driving? If she lives there or has staff there the whole time a plant is ok but if the house is shut up at the end of the season it will die in the winter. A couple of bottles of wine?

Sparkletastic Mon 11-Jul-16 08:02:22

A Dyptique scented candle.

Gruach Mon 11-Jul-16 08:12:45

It really doesn't sound as if she needs a solid gift to keep forever!

Assuming the drink generally flows I would probably take a particularly British example - a wonderful Islay malt whisky or Liverpool Gin or something similar, spending your full budget. (Unless they keep cellars full already?)

Otherwise, what's their library like? And is she bilingual? Might she appreciate a beautifully produced book? The catalogue from a new exhibition or a Folio Soc edition/translation reflecting her interests?

(This is actually just a list of my own favourite things.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now