"Excuse me please" or silent expectation?

(8 Posts)
ExcuseMeAgain Tue 15-Dec-15 12:55:23

It is the time of year for crowds and busy places.

I say excuse me if I would like someone to move to let me pass. I encounter more people who stand, stay silent, give a look (maybe we know each other and they are thinking from where? ) and then huff impatiently if I haven't realised they need me to move.

Am I the rude one to actually say something? Or do I need to hang back to waiting for telepathy to kick in, moving on to slightly irritated smiles looks or sighs?

Tagetes Tue 15-Dec-15 13:04:31

Say 'excuse me please' every time. And age, gender or not having English as your first language is no excuse. I hate it if I'm in an outside seat on a train or bus and the window-sitter just stands up and expects me to move, and I wouldn't do it either. If anyone pushes past me, or doesn't say thanks if I do move, I do the PA 'you're welcome' thing grin

xmasseason Tue 29-Dec-15 01:27:03

"Excuse me please" with a smile.

Minisoksmakehardwork Sat 16-Apr-16 11:16:17

Excuse me please. Always. And raised eyebrows at the person who expects you to be psychic.

I'm teaching my dc to say excuse me please is more polite than barging through. It had interesting results. From people smiling and going 'aww how sweet' to rolling eyes that they have to move. Ah well. I will continue to wage my one family war on manners!

gandalf456 Sat 16-Apr-16 11:21:27

It's far easier to say excuse me. I hate people tutting behind me when I don't know they're there

ILovePies Sat 16-Apr-16 13:11:20

Excuse me please. Always.
I've gotten to the point where I won't move until they've said it now, even if I know they're there!

ILovePies Sat 16-Apr-16 13:13:13

Tagetes I also do the PA 'you're welcome'!

buddy79 Tue 30-Aug-16 11:37:18

Yes!!! Totally agree say "excuse me please", I am also teaching DS this at the mo. One of my few moments of glory in life was when a very tall man elbowed past me and several others in a busy pub, spilling my drink, almost knocking my friend over, and generally making a nuisance of himself, he then looked at me a bit embarrassed and I said sweetly "it's easier to just say excuse me". Ha ha ha!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now