What to put in a Christmas card for someone's whose husband recently died

(9 Posts)

Hello everyone. I'm just writing my Christmas cards, something I struggle with anyway and one of my friends husband committed suicide a few months ago and I want to put some message or maybe something simple like 'big hug'. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MrsHathaway Sat 12-Dec-15 17:01:45

In our recently-bereaved neighbour's card I wrote the equivalent of

(Addressed to Roy)

Merry Christmas and best wishes for 2016

Remembering Janet

With love from the Hathaways

I hope you find something that feels right.

Bamaluz Sat 12-Dec-15 19:00:31

I think I would leave out the Merry Christmas part, I like the rest of the message though.

'Thinking of you this Christmas' or something along those lines is also a possibility.

Goingtobeawesome Sat 12-Dec-15 19:04:25

I wouldn't put "big hug." Seems very trite.

I had this a couple of years ago and I asked on here. i cant remember exactly what I wrote but it would have been thinking of you and something else that just won't come back to me.

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Sat 12-Dec-15 19:05:08

I'd avoid anything like merry or happy Christmas.

Maybe something like "sending good wishes/thinking of you, I hope that Christmas passes as peacefully/easily as it can for you".

LifeOfBriony Sat 12-Dec-15 19:08:51

Something like

Thinking of you at Christmas

With love from
OR
With best wishes from

(Depending on how close you are)

HappyMcflappy Sat 12-Dec-15 19:19:05

My DH died in July and the best card I've received so far said:

Although we known this isn't the Christmas you'd wished for, we hope you at least have a peaceful time and know that we are thinking of you and DH.

Don't say anything about happy Christmas, merry Christmas.. Etc.
I've had cards ignoring DH death and to be honest that's just pissed me off. Acknowledge whats happened to her, Christmas will be completely awful for her but you acknowledging that will mean a lot.

HappyMcflappy Sat 12-Dec-15 19:21:01

Oh also "big hug".... Everybody says it. It brings no comfort.

Thank you fsmilee

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now