Christmas present for cleaner...?

(16 Posts)
angelpuffs Wed 02-Dec-15 12:08:46

Hi everyone
Just wondering how what kind of presents you bought your cleaners for christmas? Our cleaner has been with us for 6 months and is very good. She does some babysitting for us too. She cleans for 6 hours a week.

Would you give a Christmas bonus in the form of cash, and if so how much? Or a present- or both?
Thank you!

PurpleDaisies Wed 02-Dec-15 12:13:16

I am buying a nice box of chocolates and a card. I don't really see the need for a cash bonus as well-I pay her decent hourly rate.

angelpuffs Wed 02-Dec-15 12:15:29

We pay our cleaner £10 per hour which seems to be he going rate. A couple of my friends in central London give a bonus of £100-£150 at Christmas- we are in north London where I don't think quite as much is expected. But really haven't a clue! Thanks for your input purpledaisies smile

MrsTrentReznor Wed 02-Dec-15 12:17:13

I gave mine a Molton Brown travel set last year.
I miss her so much. sad

PurpleDaisies Wed 02-Dec-15 12:19:03

i'm a self employed private tutor and I would feel really awkward getting a cash bonus from pupils, but I often get cards and small presents (wine, chocolates, that sort of thing) which is nice. The best present I got was a £1.75 paper chase pen because the pupil noticed all my pens were from there! I'm assuming my cleaner is similar.

TreeSparrow Wed 02-Dec-15 12:19:25

How about a homemade box set of lemon pledge and a luxury ostrich feather duster?

TeddTess Wed 02-Dec-15 12:20:32

i always give my cleaner a week's money (she usually has a week off over the christmas period so it is king of a bonus/money i would usually pay anyway). plus a box of nice chocs or something.

TeddTess Wed 02-Dec-15 12:21:03

but certainly do not give cash to the tutor!! completely different. tin of biscuits, christmas flowers that sort of thing

Schoolchauffeur Wed 02-Dec-15 12:21:23

I've had the same cleaner for 4 years now so know her quite well. I buy her a fun gift for under her tree usually about £20 in value ( from my dogs as she loves them!) and give her cash equivalent to one cleaning session ( £40). She's always been very happy with that. In return she always buys treats for the dogs and she makes us every year a particular festive decoration which we always look forward to seeing as she's very creative and she enjoys our reaction to it!

angelpuffs Wed 02-Dec-15 12:21:41

Hi purpledaisies
I see what you mean- but I think I'm safe in saying that the cleaner earns quite a bit less than a private tutor- hence the appreciation of the cash bonus! Do you mind if ask what age children you tutor and where you are based? I might need your services!

sparechange Wed 02-Dec-15 12:22:19

Our cleaner gets 2 weeks money as a bonus, plus box of chocolates.
She usually gives us a bottle of wine and a card, plus a toy for the dog, which is very sweet and generous of her

angelpuffs Wed 02-Dec-15 12:22:29

Thanks everyone- a weeks bonus plus a small wrapped present was what I had in mind too...

PurpleDaisies Wed 02-Dec-15 12:25:18

If you're in north London it is w bit of a commute...I'm in the East Midlands! I usually do GCSEs and a levels in maths and the sciences.

Could you ask around at school? Personal recommendation is usually the best way to find someone good.

angelpuffs Wed 02-Dec-15 12:28:29

Yes- a bit far! Thanks anyway smile

momb Wed 02-Dec-15 12:29:26

Cash bonus is appropriate for cleaner, plus a more personal small gift.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 02-Jan-16 20:41:37

I give cash.
I know she needs all the cash she can get as she has a big family and earns little but works really hard.
She can buy whatever SHE wants to with the extra money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now