Mumsnet...

(126 Posts)
Steph1502 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:23:30

Ok so been on mumsnet for a whole month now. I must say I'm a little put off by how rude some folk can be on some of these threads. However I have found it to be, mostly, very helpful. What I want to know, after reading some posts where some poor newbie like myself was ripped to shreds, is what is mumsnet etiquette? So far I have read that calling other ladies 'hun' is frowned upon (it's ok, I'm from Glasgow it means something entirely different here anyway) and sending kisses at the end of a message isn't really 'cool'. What else should I know before posting any more threads? (xx)

Jo2015 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:27:08

Good thread, Steph!

I've only been on here 2days myself & would also like to know. So far...I've encountered nothing but lovely MNS & wouldn't like to offend anyone, myself!smile

EatShitDerek Thu 04-Jun-15 23:28:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lweji Thu 04-Jun-15 23:29:56

You do need a thick skin and a sense of humour.

Steph1502 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:29:58

The majority have been fantastic Jo... I just cringe reading some of the replies to some poor folks threads and comments. I just read some stuff that is deemed 'frowned upon' tonight and was wondering well... How do the newbies know it's frowned upon? Haha

CycleChic Thu 04-Jun-15 23:30:23

Swearing is OFTEN encouraged grin

Jo2015 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:32:21

Thanks Steph!smile

Uhm.....think I need to go change my username! Haha!grin

Steph1502 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:33:33

Haha... See... Already I failed miserably. It's like first year of high school all over again with my Mercury trainers. Ok so change my name... Thick skin: check sense of humour: check swearing: fuck yes. Grammar: usually good but I do ..... That quite a lot. Is that a no no??

FatAli Thu 04-Jun-15 23:35:57

Usernames with numbers in are judged, as is poor grammar.

If you stay long enough, it becomes groundhog day.

Steph1502 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:37:21

To be honest, I doubt I'll stay so long. Awfully judgemental. I'm judging the judgements and I'm not impressed

Jo2015 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:37:28

s'weird being the, "new girl", at my age.

So fucking weird......haha!grin

ErrolTheDragon Thu 04-Jun-15 23:39:29

If someone is rude, MN standard responses include 'Did you mean to be so rude' or ODFOD. There is a helpful acronym guide somewhere if you don't know what any of them mean.

Avoid posting in AIBU unless you've got a thick skin. Criticising spelling and grammar does happen but is considered poor form unless it's in Pedants' Corner.

Re names- I'm sure you will come up with something more inspired in due course.

And welcome!

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 04-Jun-15 23:40:11

You can do... but three is the limit. A space as in .... may be acceptable but more than three is not. grin
Ration exclamation marks and extraneous adjectives. Be generous with paragraphs.

Lweji Thu 04-Jun-15 23:41:13

Also, we like paragraphs and punctuation. Particularly if the posts are long.

Some of us are older (virtually old ladies of 40 and above), with deteriorating eyesight, and a short attention span.

If someone is rude to you, it's ok to tell them ODFOD, or to FOTTFSOFAFOSM.
Not so much "did you mean to be so rude?" because some people did, and it's passive aggressive, apparently.

MNHQ don't like personal attacks, such as "you're a knob", but may actually let pass "don't act like a knob".

You're not cool enough until one of your posts has been deleted. grin

NO LOL. Never. Ever. Unless you actually did, or snort coffee over your laptop, which has stopped working, but you are still posting.

Steph1502 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:42:46

Jo we should start our own forum where everyone has their name and numbers for usernames and can send each other kisses and use bad grammar but on purpose as its 'ironic' and we can be like those kids in school that have their own group but are looked down on by the 'cool kids' (mumsnet)
I'm jesting... Like I said majority have been great on here and I don't really care if folk are nasty on my threads as they are strangers but some of the people on here are getting ripped to shreds it's a shame

WorraLiberty Thu 04-Jun-15 23:43:02

Honestly OP just ignore people and post how you want to. Fuck 'em! grin

Lweji Thu 04-Jun-15 23:43:10

How do the newbies know it's frowned upon?

It's not difficult to find out. You either read a lot before posting, or helpful people will tell you as soon as you cross the line.

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 04-Jun-15 23:43:43

Oh just ignore the judgy posts. Imagine the judgy pants are strangling them. Posters who respond to some poor person pouring their heart out with "Paragraphs!" get judged silently.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 04-Jun-15 23:44:40

I'm very fond of the ellipsis myself...

Lweji Thu 04-Jun-15 23:45:08

You can do ironic xxs and bad grammer, yes. That's ok, not discusting at all, particularly if you happen to mention pirates or second hand clotes.

stoopstoconker Thu 04-Jun-15 23:45:17

You don't have to engage.

Not everyone will agree with you, some people will be quite aggressive in their disagreements, don't take it personally.

Sometimes people will tell you you're wonderful/funny/lickable (that's not a spelling mistake), they might be hairy handed truckers but mumsnet is egalitarian that way.

The feminist boards are an eye opener, AIBU is often a bunfight.

Roaming round mumsnet will suck your life away...run away now.grin

Steph1502 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:45:39

I say lol... (Three) unless I do actually lol. In which case I say: 'proper LOL' would that be acceptable?

Mrsfrumble Thu 04-Jun-15 23:46:04

The most utterly withering response you can is a simple biscuit emoticon like this: biscuit

No words. Just a biscuit. It's the ultimate expression of contempt.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 04-Jun-15 23:49:13

Oh, I'd been wondering what that was when I'm on my iPod not pc, it doesn't look anything like the nice jammie dodger.

Steph1502 Thu 04-Jun-15 23:49:31

Contempt? So that doesn't mean: I really like you let's go have some tea and biscuits? Jeez

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now