Giving homemade Christmas gifts

(7 Posts)
Monstersincq Mon 11-Nov-13 08:52:29

We are unbelievably strapped for cash at he moment and have 32 different people to buy gifts for. In the past I have supplemented other gifts with things like homemade fudge etc but I don't think I've ever given just that.

I think I'd be quite touched o get something homemade but far others may think its a fob off. Especially if we're all sitting around the tree and 20 odd people are receiving identical jars of chilli jam.

What do you think?

And any suggestions of homemade gifts (edible) that would be nice?

I don't know if you've had a look on the Christmas talk section, but there are generally masses of ideas on there - think chutneys and preserves, flavoured vodka, homemade soaps, knitted/crocheted items - you name it. I can't remember if there is one this year, but in the past there have been huge threads on what people are making and how to make them.

One of my personal favourites (I put hampers together last year) is rosemary salt - it's excellent on lamb. It's literally Maldon salt in a jar with masses of rosemary - very cheap to make but brilliant.

This glaze is also really, really good - and looks lovely and festive in jars with Christmas ribbon round the top

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/parprika_glazed_ribs_01985

Oh and BTW I would love love love to receive anything homemade!!

Sammie101 Mon 11-Nov-13 09:26:59

I would love to receive homemade gifts, to me it shows more thought than going and buying a generic Christmas gift (think endless sets of smellies!)

My mum makes amazing jams and lemon curd, which dressed up with a nice lid I think would be lovely gifts! Or maybe homemade candles? I know you want something edible but I saw the instructions for how to make them and it seems quite simple (however I've never tried it, could make one giant mess!)

Marylou2 Mon 18-Nov-13 14:08:06

I love to get home made gifts. Chutney, jam , marmalade. Other inexpensive ideas like buying pretty tea cups and saucers from charity shops and wrapping in cellophane with a small box of fancy tea bags. A bit of pretty ribbon and all done for under a £4.

CMOTDibbler Mon 18-Nov-13 14:20:07

I think homemade is lovely if you match it to the person - for instance, chilli jam or flavoured vodka would leave me cold, but really good fudge would be totally excellent. My dad wouldn't appreciate anything sweet or alcoholic, but would bite your arm off for mint jelly.

Lots of ideas on Pintrest - last year I did hot choc kits for some people who I needed a token gift for and they loved them

dyslexicdespot Mon 18-Nov-13 14:24:34

I would prefer to receive a home made gift. The consumerism that goes on during Christmas turns my stomach. Buzzfeed usually has list of inventive and inexpensive DIY gift ideas in their DIY section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now