Giving home made Christmas gifts

(9 Posts)
Monstersincq Mon 11-Nov-13 08:46:58

We are unbelievably strapped for cash at he moment and have 32 different people to buy gifts for. In the past I have supplemented other gifts with things like homemade fudge etc but I don't think I've ever given just that.

I think I'd be quite touched o get something homemade but far others may think its a fob off. Especially if we're all sitting around the tree and 20 odd people are receiving identical jars of chilli jam.

What do you think?

And any suggestions of homemade gifts (edible) that would be nice?

thenicknameiwantedisgone Mon 11-Nov-13 08:49:54

Another thread suggested hot chocolate on a stick which looks good to me. I have order 50 sticks and cellphone bags on amazon for about £4.

The thread had a few other edible ideas too.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas/1906736-Homemade-presents-for-adults-teens

DearDinah Mon 11-Nov-13 08:52:33

Christmas cookies in nice jars, I'm contemplating this, tied with Christmas ribbon. I would love that! However have a BIL who always screws his nose up at homemade gifts cause he's squeamish about food not being sealed in a factory weirdo

Ragwort Mon 11-Nov-13 08:55:59

I would seriously ask myself why I am buying for 32 people hmm? Wouldn't it be easier to have a chat, suggest that instead of exchanging presents you meet up for a walk/Christmas tea/Carol service etc etc.

Perhaps the other people are also worrying about what it is costing them?

We have done this and it is a huge relief, actual present buying is down to a real minimum, we spend time with the people we love.

Monstersincq Mon 11-Nov-13 09:02:55

We also spend time together. We spend the Christmas week together. We are just a very big family. I am one of the younger in the family so I can't commandeer Christmas and suggest we don't give gifts. I know it sounds mad but everyone just likes giving each other presents. It's just the way it is and I think it is too many egos to juggle and try and change it. If it was just my brothers and sisters I would feel fine suggesting that to them but I don't think grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc would be os easy to tell not to buy presents.

I do despair on it every year but DS is the youngest and so gets hoardes of presents from everyone (not from me though poor thing!). I feel if every single person buys him something I really ought to get then something.

Ragwort Mon 11-Nov-13 09:07:37

Monster - in my experience people often buy children a present but don't then expect the adults to exchange gifts IYSWIM - I used to give people a photo of my DS grin with their Christmas card or maybe something like a homemade calendar from him which probably went in the bin. When my DS was younger he got loads of presents but that does tail off as they become stroppy teenagers older.

Obviously you know your own family but are you absolutely sure that all the adults expect gifts in return?

SoupDragon Mon 11-Nov-13 09:10:50

Especially if we're all sitting around the tree and 20 odd people are receiving identical jars of chilli jam.

I think this is the problem with some homemade gifts. It's not that they are homemade, it's that you've not chosen the gift for the recipient IYSWIM. Taking Chilli Jam as an example - my brothers would probably love it, I would hate it and throw it away.

I'm planning to make some gifts this year but they'll be made for a specific recipient.

Oh bum, I posted on your other thread and didn't see this! Sorry!

Oh! And chocolate bark!!! It's wonderful - melt chocolate, pour it into a lined baking tray so that when it sets you get "thins". Top with whatever you like - smashed up candy canes (gorgeous with dark choc), nuts, raisins, marshmallows, popping candy - whatever you like. When it has set just break it up and bag it up. You can also do more than one layer (e.g. with different types of chocolate). I've never done this as I generally have patience for one layer only grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now