Flowers for funeral- help!

(11 Posts)
Fairypants Sun 03-Nov-13 17:21:28

My grandmothers funeral is tomorrow and I have just thought about flowers! I have not been involved in arranging anything as I live hundreds of miles away and have not been kept in the loop. I would like to take bouquets for my gm and gf ( who is buried at the same place) but have no idea whether that would be ok or if I should have arranged for arrangements to be delivered to the church already??

Ragwort Sun 03-Nov-13 17:24:15

I think it is perfectly acceptable to take them with you (have you checked they are having 'family flowers' - sometimes people say 'no flowers').

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, hope it is OK tomorrow. smile

BackforGood Sun 03-Nov-13 17:30:38

Ask whoever it is who is arranging the funeral - a considerable number of funerals say "Donations in lieu of flowers to....".
A lot of families will arrange flowers "From the {extended} family" rather than individual lots from each member of the family.

Fairypants Mon 04-Nov-13 08:38:54

Thanks for the replies, I was driving til late last night so only just had a chance to look.
Unfortunately we have a weird dynamic in out family as my gm had children and step children (my mum was a step). They got on ok but never integrated and there is now no intervening generation. Anyway, the point is, there is no-one else who would have arranged flowers to include me.
I might have to base the decision on whether I can find a florist this morning as I am miles from anywhere.

I had to do this a couple of weeks ago for my GF Fairypants. I think a well known online florist will take orders upto 2pm today for funerals and they will delivery in time for the service tomorrow. You can book online or over the phone with them. Their funeral flower service is different to their normal delivery service.

I am also sorry for your loss and hope that the service goes as well as can be expected.

fuckwittery Mon 04-Nov-13 08:52:17

I would ring a florist local to the funeral now and arrange the flowers. Plenty of notice for delivery tomorrow for a local florist. Call the funeral directors and check where the flowers should be delivered, they are often delivered to the funeral directors who will lay them out on the coffin, bring the church or crematorium and then ensure they wre displayed on the grave or at the crematorium for the guests to see. (I have organised a few funerals). They are not usually delivered direct to church or crematorium as they can get lost/muddled with other funerals. I also wouldnt bring them with you as you don't want to be worrying about where to leave them. Hope all goes well.

Fairypants Mon 04-Nov-13 09:05:23

Unfortunately the funeral is today so no time to arrange for delivery- either I take them or no flowers. sad

Ragwort Mon 04-Nov-13 09:10:26

It will be fine to take the flowers with you, just make sure it's not a huge showy bouquet, a discreet bunch will be perfectly acceptable. THope it goes OK for you.

CMOTDibbler Mon 04-Nov-13 09:11:56

I'd take some with me - pop into a florist and get a small arrangement

eatyourveg Mon 04-Nov-13 09:18:28

I've done that - a single white rose stem would work well - if you get to the church early you could place it on the coffin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now