Very generous hand-me-downs...

(8 Posts)
extracrunchy Sun 18-Aug-13 10:47:02

We're expecting DD in the next few months, gave everything baby related away after DS as thought we couldn't have any more. We're not well off, but at the same time not totally destitute.

Local friends have been incredibly kind giving us stuff for DD - we're pretty much sorted for clothes till she's over a year old, have a Moses basket, bassinet for buggy, a play gym, offers of car seats, more buggies, breast pumps, Bumbos, you name it!

Now we're obviously extremely grateful and probably shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth (or whatever that saying DM uses is) but I'm beginning to feel a little bit uncomfortable. I mean is there a point where you stop accepting as it's just too much?!

chocoluvva Sun 18-Aug-13 13:46:45

If people offer you something you know you won't be able to use I think it's fine to thank them profusely, but explain that you won't be able to use it as you already have two (or whatever) and would it be okay to give it to someone else you know/a charity you both support instead.

meditrina Sun 18-Aug-13 14:00:11

If you gave away Round 1 of baby stuff, you'll know there is little you can do with stuff you've finished with other than pass it on. So unless you already have a particular item, I don't see why you cannot continue to accept.

Perhaps asking, for bigger ticket items, what the donor would like done with it when you've finished with it, if it's still fit for use. Most of the people who were so kind to us just said "do what you want", one specified a charity shop for a cause close to her heart, and one (family member) asked us to have a word when the time came as she believed there might be new babies amongst her in-laws at about the right time and she wanted the item to go round as many children as possible.

extracrunchy Sun 18-Aug-13 16:45:06

Good advice!

I know people are being really really kind and want things to get lots of use, I just feel we've accepted so much!

ChippingInHopHopHop Sun 18-Aug-13 16:49:17

Keep accepting anything you can use, happily. People are clearly excited for you (as am I now!!) grin and want you to have it. If you already have something the same then just say so... no big deal. She will cost you a fortune soon enough - make the most of not having to buy anything for a while (other than things you want to buy of course... smile ).

How old is DS? I am so excited for you - mad isn't it grin

LoganMummy Sun 18-Aug-13 16:50:45

My DSis had this. In the end they went to a nearly new sale and kept a note of how much each item made. They then gave the money back to their friends/charity.

extracrunchy Sun 18-Aug-13 17:18:36

Haha Chipping you're lovely! DS is 2 1/2 and has no idea what's about to hit him, though he does love sorting "teeeeeeny tiny pyjamas" grin

ChippingInHopHopHop Sun 18-Aug-13 20:36:10

Aww - he sounds very cute. A nice age gap too. Newborn and toddler - life at it's very best smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now