Awful slip of the tongue committed, I'm a shitty, shitty person.

(151 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Fri 07-Jun-13 16:50:30

Went to the shops this afternoon and the lady who served me had a lazy eye. We were having a bit of small talk about the flowers I was buying when she leaned down behind the counter to get a flower bag and a pen fell out of her shirt so I told her:

"Oh, you've dropped your eye."

To which she said, "Sorry?" and I said it again, then realised what I'd said so corrected myself and said sorry, I didn't get much sleep last night and keep getting my words mixed up, but she gave me a hmm and stopped chatting to me.

I feel horrible. sad

Signet2012 Fri 07-Jun-13 16:51:45

Pmsl

Sorry blush

FobblyWoof Fri 07-Jun-13 16:52:02

I laughed. blush sorry, I know it's not funny. I'm just pleased it didn't happen to me for once. I have a special skill at doing this all the time!

<horror> I went all cold and shivery then in sympathy.

MrsBertMacklin Fri 07-Jun-13 16:54:20

It's shit though, because obviously some part of me had noticed & judged and decided to be bothered by it and she knows I was thinking about it while all the time I was being nice and chatty, probably thinks I was just standing there judging.

Kooza Fri 07-Jun-13 16:54:43

You are correct that it isn't funny but I'm also joining the shitty person line because I just spat my tea out. grin grin

TanteRose Fri 07-Jun-13 16:55:18

shock

You said it TWICE grin

Shutupanddrive Fri 07-Jun-13 16:56:28

You apologised, there is nothing more you can do so try not to dwell on it

ThePathanKhansAmnesiac Fri 07-Jun-13 16:57:15

I laughed as well blush, reminds me of me of my first driving test. The examiner had a huge shiney dome, my first words " so, have you always been bald"
grin blush.
I failed btw.

mrsjay Fri 07-Jun-13 16:57:42

oh dearie me <snigger> poor you I couldnt help but laugh I am terrible blush

StellaNova Fri 07-Jun-13 16:57:59

I know someone who was concentrating so hard on asking for an eraser on her first day at work rather than a rubber, that she said "has anyone got a condom?".

TanteRose Fri 07-Jun-13 16:59:27

grin

Keztrel Fri 07-Jun-13 16:59:42

I don't think it means some part of you was judging in a bad way, more that you'd noticed it and your brain was telling you under NO CIRCUMSTANCES must you mention eyes - which obviously meant the word eyes was foremost in your mind.

Don't mention the war!!

usualsuspect Fri 07-Jun-13 16:59:44

Oh my, but grin

Shellywelly1973 Fri 07-Jun-13 17:00:18

I know its awful but i really giggled at your post.

You did apologise...

Oh dear - <<winces on behave of MrsBert>>

You aren't a shitty person though. You noticed what you did and didn't come on here to laugh but to say how bad you felt about it. Slip ups happen. Give yourself a break.

If it had been a comedy programme on the telly I probably would have laughed though, and most of us have done something to make us blush with shame at some point - I know I have!

usualsuspect Fri 07-Jun-13 17:01:57

Don't beat yourself up.

We all say stupid things sometimes.

Kooza Fri 07-Jun-13 17:05:28

Ah come on that's not judging. That's just a slip of the tongue because there was something your brain clocked on to and it just popped out because you were tired.

MrsBertMacklin Fri 07-Jun-13 17:06:56

your brain was telling you under NO CIRCUMSTANCES must you mention eyes

Yes, I was concentrating really hard on making eye contact with her in a very casual way, so overthinking it was probably my downfall.

There has to be a technique for dealing with this sort of thing properly so your the subconscious bit of your brain doesn't self-sabotage the cognitive bit. Anyone know?

GoofyIsACow Fri 07-Jun-13 17:08:55

grin oops!

It's only because it was in your consciousness. Observing isn't the same as wearing judgy pants.

I told a school mum/nearly friend to have a fab time on the trip she was going on only to find today that it was for a bloody funeral!

And now I don't know whether to text and explain or leave it..

Pahahah grin thats hilarious.

I did very similar with a dwarf once when paying at a till and said 'ooh I think I'm a bit short' there was the most awkward silence before DH luckily turned up out of nowhere to make up the money for groceries.

hiddenhome Fri 07-Jun-13 17:10:22

MIL went into a village store one day and asked the woman behind the counter if she had a funny face.....the woman was shockconfusedsadhmm all at the same time. There was an awkward silence, then, her husband came out of the storeroom and MIL asked him (in all innocence) and he realised that she meant a Funny Face Ice Lolly grin

(they didn't have any btw).

Sorry but I have snorted at "I'm a bit short" grin

mrsjay Fri 07-Jun-13 17:17:34

fwiw you didnt judge her as she did have a lazy eye somebody up a bit said you were concentrating so hard that it just slipped out , I have stopped laughing now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now