Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Evil Netmums

(81 Posts)
ChrissieTay Mon 03-Jun-13 17:31:09

smile Hi all!

Only my second post on here so far! wink

But...I really need to rant and wondered whether any of you fellow mums had a bad experience with Netmums?!

I've been using it as my main parents board lately (sorry!) but as soon as you express an opinion on there, the Moderators seem to be picking and choosing who they wish to ban and I was one of them! I think it's ridiculous that they create a 'public' forum, yet constantly edit and delete threads and posts?!

Grrrrrr ... Any other Netmums to Mumsnet converts on here...?! shock X

EarlGreyTeabag Mon 03-Jun-13 17:40:10

I've only been on there a couple of times and won't be going back

I don't like the way I can't be anonymous & have to use my real first name, & that you can see exactly who is on each topic at any given time.

I also don't like that I have to register with a particular local site & then get emails from them.

This is the internet & I want to be anonymous!

I also don't like being called "hun" all the time...

I really want to deregister, but can't work out how to do it.

You will find that once and again people come from Netmums to slag of- rant about Netmums. You will find that there are two camps here:

1. Those who find it bad form to slag off other parenting forums and not really good netiquette. These posters usually say "different strokes for different folks, and why can we not all co-exist without backstabbing eachother.

2. Those who gleefully hoists their judgypants up really high and join in the backstabbing fun.

I suspect you want to hear from the second category.

I belong to the first.

But welcome to MN. smile We welcome everybody, for whatever reason they join, as long as they are not here to troll. (Or go back to Netmums and tell them what a bunch of losers we are, which inevitably happens with a large percentage of "netmums defactors")

I registered over there at some
point I think, years ago, or maybe I just snooped around the site to get a feel for it.
It was far too 'Hun' 'lovely' with the tickers and profile pics and all that flashing cartoony crap, just not my kind of forum.

MN is so much more user friendly, format and overall design and look is much nicer I found. Plus there are some fabulous users on here who really look out for each other and post good advice.
Welcome smile

ChewingOnLifesGristle Mon 03-Jun-13 17:52:22

I was going to say the same as Quint.

Rant to Netmums or don't use.

Not sure it's good etiquette to slate them off on another site. IMHO.

buswanker Mon 03-Jun-13 17:55:09

I like Mumsnet better because we can swear. <unhelpful>

Ilikethebreeze Mon 03-Jun-13 18:00:00

I had a brief look at netmums one upon a time.
I couldnt even manage to navigate the site very well. Felt like I needed some one to hold my hand and show me around. So I left.

Personally I cant give a fig whether you start a thread about netmumms. Why not I say! The more subjects the merrier on MN I say.
So welcome!

Do you think the moderators at netmums have favorites?
What sort of terrible things were you posting may I ask?

ChrissieTay Tue 04-Jun-13 07:23:06

Hi ladies,

Thanks for your replies although I'm really late in posting back as I'm still getting used to MN! I can see the difference between NM and here, so it's just taking me a little while to adjust! wink

My posts (the reason I was banned) - there was a thread about being a parent at 15 / 16 - I have no judgement as I don't believe it's age that defines a 'good' parent, and I was in the majority on that thread, however there was some pompous cow on there, claiming that all teenage mums should be forced Abortions etc! Me and some other posters had an opinion (& literally no nasty words, threats erc!) yet were banned! shock Oh well, looking around the Net and on here it seems to be a common problem with NMs confused

Just digressing slightly, but is NMs more aimed at the upper-class or do you welcome middle / lower class? It's just an impression I have picked up on? hmm X

Smudging Tue 04-Jun-13 07:31:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

burberryqueen Tue 04-Jun-13 07:34:34

netmums is hard to use and annoying and you cannot swear and be anonymous, ffs.

ChrissieTay Tue 04-Jun-13 07:35:44

Aah, another thing I wanted to know, was how come posters here cross out words, but keep them in their post(s), as opposed to deleting them ??

Also, please excuse my spelling - I am using an iPhone on my way to work (!) and ironically, bad spelling and grammar really annoy me! wink

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jun-13 07:36:02

Netmums upper class? grin

ChrissieTay Tue 04-Jun-13 07:37:04

Noooo, I asked if here was more aimed at the upper class? As I'm not you see so don't know if I'll still be welcome? hmm

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jun-13 07:37:08

The cross out thing is so you can say something shitstirring controversial but pretend you haven't

ChrissieTay Tue 04-Jun-13 07:37:54

Aaah, I thought it was something to do with a hint of sarcasm wink

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jun-13 07:38:23

Oh no everyone is welcome, I am as common as muck. It is perceive as smug middle class mummies in the media sometimes but that is not the case.

Welcome anyway smile

ChrissieTay Tue 04-Jun-13 07:40:10

Ha ha, aww thank you smile

How do you MNetters feel about the term 'lol' ?! Ggrrrrrrr this has always wound me up!! Even in texts!

usualsuspect Tue 04-Jun-13 07:42:09

I'm in the don't slag off other sites camp.

We don't allow riff raff to post on here.

usualsuspect Tue 04-Jun-13 07:43:42

I lol all over the shop,but some don't like it.

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Tue 04-Jun-13 07:43:43

I joined but never posted, then I found here, or I found here then joined NM or something.

MN is for people from London Cafes with Ugg books and PND, if you believe the Newspaper(s).

The 15/16 yr old having a baby would more than likely have kicked off on here too tbh

Different opinions etc ...

ChrissieTay Tue 04-Jun-13 07:44:33

Well 'usualsuspect' it's a good job I'm not 'riff raff' then isn't it?! wink

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jun-13 07:46:29

I agree don't slag off other forums. There are enougn people on mumsnet to slag off anywaygrin

I lol all over the place as well. But in the context of 'lol at usual suspect' or whatever. When it is used 'I went to make a cup of hot chocolate lol and I dropped the teaspoon lol made a right mess lol!!!!!!!' It is annoying.

EauRouge Tue 04-Jun-13 07:49:22

Most of us dictate our posts and have our butlers type them.

SirRaymondClench Tue 04-Jun-13 07:53:04

Just digressing slightly, but is NMs more aimed at the upper-class or do you welcome middle / lower class? It's just an impression I have picked up on? X

The Upper class are the aristocracy. There aren't actually too many of them but I'm sure the odd one posts on here.
The rest of the country is either Middle or Working class so yes they post on here. I'm sure everyone is welcome and people don't post based on their class. Why would you even ask this??

ChrissieTay Tue 04-Jun-13 07:55:02

I ask, as it seems to be the genral consensus, plus I believe some of the celebs say they prefer this to NM's?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now