What to take as a 'thank you for letting us stay for a week' present?

(5 Posts)
Lioninthesun Tue 28-May-13 18:57:47

A lovely friend has invited us to stay in her house for a week in Africa. She has only asked we get some baby treats and nibbles for her DS but I think I should take something for her and her hubby. Any suggestions? We have to travel fairly light so the smaller in size the better! TIA.

rootypig Tue 28-May-13 19:43:29

Is she British, living abroad? if yes, is there anything you know she likes but can't get there? chocolate, tea, M&S biscuits - these are the things I appreciate most when living abroad!

if not, or you're not sure, my staple gift as a houseguest is lovely things for the home from British fragrance / beauty brands:
Liz Earle - the orange flower handwash, energising body wash
Miller Harris - amazing candles
Jo Malone - candles, shower gel

I would also usually say a bottle of something from the airport - a good whisky or brandy - but that would be quite bulky and heavy.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Tue 28-May-13 19:44:13

How about some Cadburys chocolate or some Marmite? I don't know if they can buy either of those things but that's what I miss!

Lioninthesun Tue 28-May-13 19:57:08

Ah yes, I can do the airport shop for bevvies.. I had better check though as not sure if they drink over there! She's not really a big drinker but he might like a whisky or something. Jo Malone or Molton Brown would work well too! Had a bit of a mental block!
Her grandma was Scottish and she used to make tablet for us at school, so I think a trip to Thorntons may be in order. Thank you all!

rootypig Tue 28-May-13 20:02:57

No worries. M&S biscuits and shortbread are great for taking too, because they come in tins. and I made my dad bring me christmas pudding and Birds custard one year! I am quite greedy blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now