Facebook etiquette

(13 Posts)
Sherbert37 Sun 26-May-13 19:25:58

Started posting semi regularly recently and not sure I know the rules. What are the dos and don'ts of Facebook?

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-May-13 19:26:54

Don't.

Sherbert37 Sun 26-May-13 19:41:08

Ha ha. Yes being drawn in but am very selective about who I am friends with. Is it ok to actually write something after a post or does a like suffice?

Sparklingbrook Sun 26-May-13 19:43:40

Ooh I don't know Sherbert. I only have DS1's FB to go by. He is 13 and it's a very strange world.

I think a 'like' is appreciated, only comment if you have something you really want to say.

Sherbert37 Sun 26-May-13 19:48:18

Thanks Sparkling. Mine are older teenagers and just fall about laughing when I ask my silly questions.

Start out just by 'liking' things you like. I'd say if you'd not be happy to say whatever it is out loud in public, to a bunch of strangers, or don't want something known/seen, don't put it on there.

I maintain contact with a lot of people via FB but sometimes do get really irritated by all the dross some people post.

Fairygen Sun 26-May-13 19:50:41

Check your privacy settings so only friends can see what you post. Recently I've had loads of different baby photos come up on my wall ( babies I don't know) because friends have commented on them.

I think it is ok just to like something, unless you know the person really well, or it is something that applies/ involves you. Most people on fb are too interested in trying to make themselves look like they have amazing and exciting lives to really notice who's liking what!

Overberries Sun 26-May-13 19:54:30

My DF has just joined FB. He often comments on family posts and starts each comment 'dear (who ever has posted)...' And finishes up with '... Much love X' I'm not sure if it would be mean to point out how unnecessary this is!

Sherbert37 Sun 26-May-13 20:00:30

So do all my friends see everything I like? Just that I don't often see much that they like, or maybe they don't like anything??

Fairygen Sun 26-May-13 20:52:52

If you go into settings you can adjust who sees what.fb is a real eye opener, and at times hilarious!! My friends fall into 6 categories-

1, the addicts, those who are ( or seem to be) on there 24/7, commenting on and liking everything that everyone posts. Also posting about every aspect of their lives. Often found clogging up your news feed with total rubbish.

2, the boasters, mainly holidays, cars, where they have been or going

3, the attention seekers, always ill or going through some form of drama far worse than anyone else has ever experienced. Always far too much private info shared

4, the idiots, who try to write profound quotations to come across as quirky and weird, who in actual fact make themselves look like twats.

5 the twits, always using their twitter hashtags ( I don't understand twitter)

6 people like me, don't take it too seriously, use it to keep in touch with people or have a chuckle at the end of the day ( usually relating to one of the above!!)

Sherbert37 Sun 26-May-13 21:10:49

That's all true Fairygen. And the ones who share those 'amusing' photos with captions of animals usually. Or is that just my 'friends'.
I'm on an iPad and wonder how Favourites, More Friends (4) etc come about on the right hand side?

Fairygen Mon 27-May-13 07:00:07

Also the game requests. I'm a grown woman, and mother. Do these people think I have the time or desire to play bubble witch saga or FarmVille? Why do they not get the message, I haven't responded to the last 200 requests, why oh why keep sending more of them!!!???

Are you using the fb app on the IPad? I really struggle with it, so i just go into the website as normal.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Mon 27-May-13 07:08:41

Sometimes you have to do a bit of "duty liking"- just go down your newsfeed and quickly "like" all photos of people's kids/ marathon feats etc that they've posted. keeps em happy.

Don't "like" anything that says "Like this and Bill Gates/Mark Zuckerberg will give $1 to curing cancer/feeding famine victims/saving donkeys. If it also includes a guilt trip such as "90% of people won't share this" or "like if you hate cancer", defriend the person immediately, first on FB, and ideally also in real life as they are a gullible, sanctimoious twat.

Defriend anyone posting nauseating inspirational quotes, especially if they misattribute it, and double-especially if it's that annoying one about mums being on call 24/7/265 for the rest of their lives.

Don't post stuff saying "Today has really made me realise who my friends are" in order to get "What's up hun?" x 1000.

dont tag people looking minging or engaging in criminal activities. They wont thank you for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now