Ideas to say thankyou

(4 Posts)
schoonko07 Tue 23-Apr-13 14:46:46

My parents have just given us a large amount of money towards a new house.
We really want to do something for them to say thanks. In the future when we are better off financially ourselves we would love to send them somewhere lovely on holiday but at the moment a gift requiring much money isnt possible,and to my extremely practical parents would seem odd given that they are giving us money to help with house-I think they would see a gift as bought by their money if that makes sense. So I'm thinking more do something rather than give something at the mo.
I would like to put out there that I know that in the long term our home always being open and welcoming to them and being there for them as they are there for us is really how it will be shown,but I am thinking more of doing something as a gesture now.
So any great ideas?I am currently in a sleep deprived haze due to having a newborn so not coming up with much on my own!

Mehrida Tue 23-Apr-13 18:41:45

I sometimes find a wee handwritten note sent by post is better received than any presents would ever be.

Alternatively, When you get the keys to your new house take a really nice photo with your DC chewing holding the keys and put it in a nice frame.

Or tell them you're taking them out for Sunday lunch to say thanks, but then take them to the park/beach/etc for a nice walk and a picnic (much cheaper than a restaurant, altho dependent on the weather!)

I think keys to the house is a good idea, maybe with a framed photo of you all in front of your new home, if you have a garden you can take seeds, cuttings and grow some plants for them - if you know they'd like that?

You could dedicate one of the flower beds (if you have one) to your parents. Tell them that it will be a constant growing reminder of thier kindness and you will tend it with care to show your appreciation. Make it personal to them - if they are keen veggie gardeners make it a small veggie plot. If they are big on shrubs put shrubs in it. Roses, ditto. May not be something you can affordd to do much with instantly but it could be a long term plan for one particular area of the garden to be "GrannyandGrandadShoonks" patch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now