Shouting at cyclists

(7 Posts)
ThePonderer Thu 22-Nov-12 11:42:56

Today I was nearly hit by a cyclist while I was on a pedestrian crossing. I shouted at him, "Excuse me, I'm trying to cross here!" and he pointed at his headphones and sneered at me, "I can't hear you!" as he cycled away, even though he clearly could.

Thinking about it afterwards, I realised that if you tell somebody off like that then you just annoy them. You both get cross, and then there's no chance of it ending in a heartfelt apology.

So, here's my question: is there anything I could have said or done which might have actually made him consider stopping at a red light another time? Is there a way to make the point while being polite? Or at least without being the mad shouty woman?

Wildwaterfalls Fri 23-Nov-12 08:06:53

This makes me so angry! I always take lots of care while crossing, especially with DD. And then you get cyclists who think they are above the law!! Wearing headphones is even more ridiculous! Very angry for you.

I think you were quite restrained actually. Can't think of a way to make the point more politely... After all you only have a split second to make an impression on the cyclist.

lljkk Fri 23-Nov-12 08:14:04

Well, you get van drivers who think they are above the law, too.
And moms on the school run. And pedestrians who blithely cross the road in dodgy places, taking their lives into their hands. And motorcyclists who think it's fine to overtake on blind bends. And so on. Parcel Force drivers are among the worst, we find, for dodgy overtaking (DH is past-master at chasing them down to have a word, on his pushbike, of course).

Sorry you got a scare, OP. I find vehicles are better about respecting pedestrian crossings in small sleepy towns like ours. No comfort, I know.

lljkk Fri 23-Nov-12 08:15:28

ps: DH just puts on a big smile when he chases a motorist down to have a word, no matter how much they rant DH keeps his voice calm. Being very polite is only way to go.

ThePonderer Sat 24-Nov-12 15:38:12

I am thinking now that a sarcastic but calm "Is it ok with you if I cross now?" might have been better. You're right, lljkk, that a big smile is always good.

Of course, collapsing to the ground with a fake injury might have been more entertaining.

It was just that afterwards I felt that standing in the street shouting had just made me look (and feel) worse about it. Not a great contribution to polite society, even though he absolutely was at fault.

Hassled Sat 24-Nov-12 15:40:40

Cyclists with headphones make me apoplectic with rage so any sense of etiquette would fly out the window, I'm afraid. They are making themselves so vulnerable - headphones are not like having the car radio on.

syl1985 Tue 28-May-13 01:51:46

I so understand your anger!!!
There're fools on the road. They're not only a danger to themselves, but also to others.

Best then to do is to stay calm, but I sooo know how you feel!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now