People who turn up BANG on the start of a party

(101 Posts)
HellothisisJoanie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:16:49

please dont.

have none of the rest of you heard of "fashionably late"?

DottyDot Fri 16-Nov-12 17:53:07

Dp and I got invited to a party full of youths a few years ago, when the host said it was starting (at the ridiculously late time of about 9pm I think). We were the only people there for about 2 hours. As we were leaving, at around 12am, hordes of people had started to arrive... hmm.

Serves them right for inviting crumblies like us...

UptoapointLordCopper Fri 16-Nov-12 17:53:53

I hate unwritten rules.

HellothisisJoanie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:54:19

i am a bit shock how literal you are to timings.

its NOT cool to be on time to a party

usualsuspect3 Fri 16-Nov-12 17:55:46

I imagined OP more as Abigail from Abigails party

Chubfuddler Fri 16-Nov-12 17:56:51

I'm too busy enjoying my friends company to worry about being cool. You sound not fun.

usualsuspect3 Fri 16-Nov-12 17:57:07

My being cool boat sailed a long time ago

HellothisisJoanie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:58:20

lol at usual

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RuleBritannia Fri 16-Nov-12 17:59:07

If you put 7.00pm on a party invitation, why are you not ready to receive them? I always am <pedant>

I never have work still to do in preparation and I'm always dressed and ready watching television with wine until the first arrives.

If people arrive at the time they are invited, you are BU to send them away or think that they are rude. You specify a time so that's the time they should arrive or a bit later.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 16-Nov-12 17:59:12

Lower/middle!shock

Punctuality is the Courtesy of kings.

I dunno - depends what kind of do and how close friends you are with hosts. My best mate throws fab dinners but is never anywhere near ready and greets me with a list of things she needs help with. So I turn up on time. We crack into the prosecco, crack on, and it gets done. If it was champers and canapes at Joanie's I'd be fashionably late because she'd have it all under control I'll wager. Chin chin.

HellothisisJoanie Fri 16-Nov-12 17:59:47

i love comments like that about friends.. you always get stuff like that on mn

* if you care about clothes you are vain
* if you ever dare criticise any mate then "some friend YOu are" is levelled at you
* if you want to not look like John and Norma Major in ankle flappers then you spend too long "trying to be cool"

all cardinal sins

stuffitunderthebed Fri 16-Nov-12 18:02:15

My DP always wants us to be there a full five minutes before time stated. Makes me ill as I'm of the fifteen minutes after start time brigade.

but you still love it here Joanie wink

HellothisisJoanie Fri 16-Nov-12 18:03:30

fecking do! ;)

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Fri 16-Nov-12 18:03:43

Ummm... ok.

<backs out quietly and goes to join Howard and Hilda in the pub>

noddyholder Fri 16-Nov-12 18:04:54

People are queued up outside my do's on time as I am SO cool

Surely it's more annoying if people turn up late, though. Then you're waiting around. I actually put the time I want people to arrive on an invite.

is there a rule on how many bottles of wine one should take to dinner parties? I notice in my Sussex Set it has risen to 3 as we are all raging piss-heads. My mother things this terribly non u and says just one very good bottle is proper.

HellothisisJoanie Fri 16-Nov-12 18:05:41

lol at nod.
do you have a velvet rope fitted into your front door?

HellothisisJoanie Fri 16-Nov-12 18:05:53

agree - one and beer

thinks even

noddyholder Fri 16-Nov-12 18:07:15

No just a little man to check what people are wearing

Runoutofideas Fri 16-Nov-12 18:07:22

I think it is rude to be late and expect every one else to create the atmosphere so you can waltz in when you fancy and make a grand entrance. It feels to me like you want someone else to do the more uncomfortable sober small talk at the start so you can rock up and enjoy the more frivolous "we've had a few drinks now and will party all night" vibe.

Being late smacks of "my time is more important than yours". I am meeting friends in the pub tonight, at 8pm. I will be there at 8pm and will invariably be sitting there on my own for half an hour. I won't go later though, in case someone else does happen to turn up at 8 and is then left on their own....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now