Bad advice on dealing with food you don't want to eat?

(5 Posts)
SlightlySuperiorPeasant Thu 25-Oct-12 09:17:30

Not just me then! I'm tempted to buy the book just for the shock factor.

BeingBooyhoo Wed 24-Oct-12 18:54:33

i agree with jendot.

i'm a very fussy eater but will taste everything on the plate when someone else has made it for me. if i really can't eat something i dont, but i always tell them the food was lovely but that it was more than i had space for.

jendot Wed 24-Oct-12 18:50:40

The answer to this surely depends on the company and the event?
In brief:
If in an informal setting or with very familiar people it is acceptable to decline the dish or ask for a small portion. Rarely is it acceptable to say you don't like it.... Offer an excuse such as "looks lovely but fish just doesn't agree with me" etc
If somewhere formal then accept the plate with grace and then eat around the offending item, don't play with it!!! Ever!!! When your plate is collected if asked 'was everything ok?' reply would be to compliment something else on the plate or saying "yes it was lovely but too generous a portion for me" or similar!
Luckily my husband is a gannet.. We have perfected the art of switching plates when he has finished lol

shrimponastick Mon 22-Oct-12 18:28:13

I remember that episode.

I am just watching ser 2 episode 3 - she should tell Ramohna to try chewing with her mouth closed.

i don't know the answer to the problem though - maybe that is the polite way?
a

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Mon 22-Oct-12 18:23:43

So, I was watching Real Housewives of New York (I'm on maternity leave with DC2, overdue and have sunk to new depths!) and one of the women was hosting an 'etiquette lunch' for her teenage daughter and her friends. She said that if the girls didn't like something they should take a little bit, push it around a lot and eat a lot of bread. Is it just me or is that really annoying and rude? This woman is writing a book on etiquette too!

What's the correct advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now