Sending a sympathy card. Is there a time limit?

(3 Posts)
IcanandIwill Fri 15-Jun-12 10:41:33

Having recently lost my DH I would say send it. It's nice to know that people are still thinking of you.

twolittlebundles Fri 15-Jun-12 09:59:44

I think a card is always appreciated, and often when the crowds depart and everyone else's lives continue on, a message is particularly welcome.

BelRowley Fri 15-Jun-12 09:52:28

One of our good friends recently lost his Dad very suddenly. He wasn't very old. Very sad.

We have lived on another continent from them for ten years or so but see them whenever we go back. We had met the Dad a three or four times (in the 20 years we've known the friend) and DH once stayed at the parents' house for a weekend.

Called and spoke to friend straight away, donated to charity instead of flowers, sent sympathy card. I also wanted to send the mother a card partly because we know her a little and partly because she is of a type that would see a card as the right thing to do. However due to my error and general stress at work, I forgot to post it for 6 weeks or so. DH is on at me that I shouldn't have sent it. The time had passed according to him.

My view is that I wish I had posted it earlier, but I didn't. The woman has lost her husband of 40 years suddenly and is not going to be over it in 6 weeks. She might appreciate it. Do you think that I should have just left it and not sent the card? What was the right thing to have done?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now