Lady parts?

(65 Posts)
germainebeer Sun 20-May-12 13:28:44

I am wondering what term to use with my daughter, when referring to her lady parts. When I was growing up with 2 older brothers, my Mum and Nan called their tackle 'tiddlers' so it followed that girls had 'tiddies'. As I have no older sons, asking my daughter to wipe her tiddy after a wee seems a bit random and meaningless. What terms do the rest of you use?

Littlesurprise Thu 18-Oct-12 12:14:32

When I was growing up, it was your 'mini' or 'front bottom'. I agree that 'front bottom' is absolutely disgusting... and I did, and still do, find it all very confusing.

Even now as an adult, I find it hard to say anything in reference to... female... parts? I feel really blush about it. Luckily OH is understanding, and we have agreed on 'biff' (not sure why - and is still very confusing to the uninitiated).

We are expecting a child soon, and honestly, I'm so worried about using embarrassing, fluffy, or graphic terms with our child. I am convinced that bad handling of this will lead to our child being just as much of an idiot about it as I am. sad

VintageRainBoots Sat 27-Oct-12 06:13:59

My MIL started calling it "wee" long before our daughter became verbal, so it just kind of stuck. Personally, I would have gone with vulva myself, just because. "Foof", "fanjo", "fanny", and "front bottom" are awful, in my rather humble opinion.

All that said, my daughter (currently five years old) still bathes with me on occasion, and often sees me completely naked (no, she has never seen her father or any adult male naked). She knows that adults, both men and women, grow pubic hair, and she's aware that women sometimes "bleed" (and she's been assured that the bleeding doesn't hurt). We try to be as matter-of-fact as possible about all of it. As far as I can tell, she hasn't yet been traumatized grin.

HairySpidersInYourUnderwear Sat 27-Oct-12 06:22:27

Bits here too. Private bits if 'longhand'.

Can't remember what I called it when younger. My SiL taught her 3 dds to call it tuppence. The first time I heard my niece say it did make me blush but not sure what I will use with my dcs

We say 'tushy'

VintageRainBoots Sat 27-Oct-12 08:06:23

I thought "tushy" referred just to the buttocks. To me, "tushy" and "bum" are interchangeable.

victoriaplum01 Sat 27-Oct-12 23:37:00

We've ended up using 'bits' too. When DD1 was born we couldn't decide what to use, so used 'bits' with the intention of finding a better word...we never did!

When I was little we used 'penny' as in 'spend a penny' but I wanted to find something different. I know someone who used woowoo, but then as an adult it kind of spoilt the cocktail with the same name... ;-)

Yoni is a good one...wish I'd thought to look on here 4 years ago. Bit late now as 'bits' has stuck!

HeadingHome Sat 27-Oct-12 23:39:45

For my 18month DD we say her "privates"

Mamuss Sat 27-Oct-12 23:45:23

A neighbour calls her children's cheesy nonny (boy) and fishy nonny (girl) .....utterly revolting!!

We use twinkle. No idea why or when we started...

sparklingsky Sun 28-Oct-12 19:54:13

We say private parts here. But my girls also distinguish labia and 'gina'. If they experience any discomfort, they can be more precise. But private parts is a catch all, as we use it for our son too. They all know this is because only they touch them....

KnittyFoxyMa Sat 29-Dec-12 14:49:50

I've used yoni since my eldest was a baby, she's 10 now, and I've posted about it a few times. her 5 yo sister also uses yoni and "educated" her nursery and reception teachers about the word! shock
youngest is my ds and he's only 15mos, but we tend to call his penis his willy.

spottyock Sun 30-Dec-12 21:26:55

Mooey here. Unsure why.
I have a friend whose 4yo daughter calls hers a fanny. Was a bit taken aback at first.

IShallCallYouSquishy Sun 30-Dec-12 21:36:11

My DD is only a baby but we've always just said "girly bits" when talking about her, er well, girly bits.

I imagine this will just continue as she gets older. It's nothing fluffy but not clinical either.

Pickles101 Tue 01-Jan-13 16:29:07

Am cringing at some of the suggestions here, including "yoni". Is reminding me of being young and my grandmother calling it all sorts of weird fluffy names that made me blush.

I like willies & wilmas though, might use that in future!
Also chuff grin haven't heard that word in years!

DD is a baby and at the moment she's got a "ducky", OP is Australian and when he was growing up they were dickies and duckies...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now