Having people round 'for drinks" - how do you get them to leave?

(34 Posts)
Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:20:18

And also - do you still even call it "coming round for drinks" anymore? Is that some 70s throwback I've dragged up from Abigail's Party?

Basically what I want to happen is for a group of 20+ people to come and have drinks and snacks and then leave after a couple of hours. Will have to be evening - how do I phrase all this? I've done "parties", I've done "coming round for a meal" - I've never done something in between. Can anyone rescue me?

juneau Mon 28-May-12 18:05:46

Yep - send 'at home' cards (if you're determined to have this at your house). Put 'Drinks 5-7pm' or whatever time you want. They'll all want to piss off and have dinner if you do it at that time and if you're not serving food that's hint enough that they should vamos. As a parent myself 5-7 would be a total PITA as it's right at dinner/bath/bed time, so I'd probably decline.

Trills Mon 28-May-12 17:59:18

Lol at piss off into your own carriages

Instruct your coachmen to have your carriages ready at X o'clock.

DZH Mon 28-May-12 17:54:13

Half an hour before the end you ask loudly and often how many people would like coffee and you put the alcoholic drinks away. Simples smile

Windandsand Mon 28-May-12 17:36:56

Bit late in the day, but around half hour before kicking out, I ask if anyone needs a taxi, then stop serving drinks fifteen mins before the end. Then you could do a little speech, thank everyone for coming and wish them a safe journey homesmile and open the windows about half an hour before too, turn the heating off etcsmile. Pub sounds good though at least your loo won't get blocked...

Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:46:00

Many thanks all - this has really helped. There's a nice pub nearby - that's definitely the way forward. It also solves the "do I invite partners?" issue.

KatieMiddleton Thu 17-May-12 21:45:43

Yes a space in a nice bar/pub is a good idea. If these are parents with young children 8-10pm is perfect. Enough time for partners to get home to do childcare and guests to smarten up a bit and get out the door.

Buy a bottle or two and some snacks and it'll be lovely.

turnigitonitshead Thu 17-May-12 21:45:31

pub for most of them then and the select very close ones you can do a more intimate lunch or dinner at yours.

PommePoire Thu 17-May-12 21:43:22

Word of caution: we once had a pre-Christmas drinks thing for all the neighbours and I'd put "Please join us for drinks between 7.30 and 11.00." At five to 11 our next-door neighbours arrived as they'd interpreted the times given as a designated 'arrival bracket' not as a start and finish time. We'd been missing them all evening as they are lovely people and always really enliven proceedings, so we were pleased to see them, but it did mean everyone else stayed until gone midnight at the earliest in order to enjoy their company too!

MarthasHarbour Thu 17-May-12 21:42:16

Nooo not 'cant be arsed' at all, if you want to you could buy the first round of drinks or put a couple of bottles of wine on the table and ask the pub to put on some snacks, then you can leave when you want to. sorted

mumblechum1 Thu 17-May-12 21:39:53

I don't think it would be considered "cba" - it might be easier for them to meet at a central pub rather than go out to your house, and in terms of thanking them, you could put on a free supper/put cash behind the bar for drinks or whatever.

Actually thinking about it, last time dh moved locations but in the same company, he invited everyone to the social club and paid for snacks & drinks and it went down well.

emsyj Thu 17-May-12 21:39:12

No, it's more flash than drinks at home if you get a nice venue. Doesn't have to be 'meet me in the pub with all the old soaks and I'll buy you a pint' - you can make it all lahvely and everything, and it needn't cost much at all.

emsyj Thu 17-May-12 21:38:19

Lots of trendy bars will do exclusive use during the week for a minimum bar spend. This is the way forward! Also, if it's a school night you will get fewer people hanging around til the bitter end. And you can leave whenever you like.

GreenMarrow Thu 17-May-12 21:37:44

Plant someone to leave at the designated hour and them loudly say 'oh is it that time already, are you all off now, thanks everso for coming..'

I really know where you are coming from OP, I think a couple of hours drinks is ideal but it's very hard to get people to leave when you want them to even if you do put a time on the invite!

Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:37:08

The pub would solve all my problems, wouldn't it? But is it a bit "can't be arsed"? I do genuinely want to thank some of these people. Some of them can rot in hell, though.

Downandoutnumbered Thu 17-May-12 21:34:55

Yes, I was going to say, don't do this in your house, because people won't leave when you want them to. Book a local cafe / room in pub and organise drinks and snacks. Then you can leave when you want to without making people feel they're being thrown out.

Chubfuddler Thu 17-May-12 21:34:11

I worked in rymans as a teenager and thought At Home cards the pinnacle of sophistication.

mumblechum1 Thu 17-May-12 21:33:53

Yes, pub would solve all your problems!

Chubfuddler Thu 17-May-12 21:33:08

What day of the week? Weekend 5 - 7pm.

turnigitonitshead Thu 17-May-12 21:32:39

why not just go to the pub for a couple of hours then you can leave.

MayaAngelCool Thu 17-May-12 21:32:27

Chub: When I was younger I always used to think that meant 'carriages will be sent to collect you at x'. Took me ages to realise that it actually means 'piss off into your own carriages at x and get out of my hair'.

Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:31:52

It hadn't actually occurred to me to be time-specific on the invite blush.

So - timings. If you had small kids and got this sort of invite (kids not invited - house couldn't fit that many), what time would you like it to be?

MayaAngelCool Thu 17-May-12 21:31:06

Well in that case I think scented's suggestion is just about perfect.

grin

Chubfuddler Thu 17-May-12 21:30:29

If you want to be extra wanky you could send them At Home cards and put "carriages at x".

Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:29:09

They're sort of colleagues and I'm sort of the boss (a voluntary thing and sorry, I'm being deliberately vague). Some I know well and like a lot, some I know well and actively dislike, some I don't really know.
Anyway, I'm leaving and I want/have to do a "goodbye and thanks" thing. But I just don't want hours of it grin.

I could get the DCs to start a small fire somewhere maybe?

notcitrus Thu 17-May-12 21:28:58

'please come over for drinks and snacks from 5-7pm'?
Makes it clear they will then need to shove off and have a bit more supper after.

IME people aren't fussed about exactly what they get invited for as long as they have the info to plan accordingly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now