ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Having people round 'for drinks" - how do you get them to leave?

(34 Posts)
Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:20:18

And also - do you still even call it "coming round for drinks" anymore? Is that some 70s throwback I've dragged up from Abigail's Party?

Basically what I want to happen is for a group of 20+ people to come and have drinks and snacks and then leave after a couple of hours. Will have to be evening - how do I phrase all this? I've done "parties", I've done "coming round for a meal" - I've never done something in between. Can anyone rescue me?

MarthasHarbour Thu 17-May-12 21:42:16

Nooo not 'cant be arsed' at all, if you want to you could buy the first round of drinks or put a couple of bottles of wine on the table and ask the pub to put on some snacks, then you can leave when you want to. sorted

PommePoire Thu 17-May-12 21:43:22

Word of caution: we once had a pre-Christmas drinks thing for all the neighbours and I'd put "Please join us for drinks between 7.30 and 11.00." At five to 11 our next-door neighbours arrived as they'd interpreted the times given as a designated 'arrival bracket' not as a start and finish time. We'd been missing them all evening as they are lovely people and always really enliven proceedings, so we were pleased to see them, but it did mean everyone else stayed until gone midnight at the earliest in order to enjoy their company too!

turnigitonitshead Thu 17-May-12 21:45:31

pub for most of them then and the select very close ones you can do a more intimate lunch or dinner at yours.

KatieMiddleton Thu 17-May-12 21:45:43

Yes a space in a nice bar/pub is a good idea. If these are parents with young children 8-10pm is perfect. Enough time for partners to get home to do childcare and guests to smarten up a bit and get out the door.

Buy a bottle or two and some snacks and it'll be lovely.

Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:46:00

Many thanks all - this has really helped. There's a nice pub nearby - that's definitely the way forward. It also solves the "do I invite partners?" issue.

Windandsand Mon 28-May-12 17:36:56

Bit late in the day, but around half hour before kicking out, I ask if anyone needs a taxi, then stop serving drinks fifteen mins before the end. Then you could do a little speech, thank everyone for coming and wish them a safe journey homesmile and open the windows about half an hour before too, turn the heating off etcsmile. Pub sounds good though at least your loo won't get blocked...

DZH Mon 28-May-12 17:54:13

Half an hour before the end you ask loudly and often how many people would like coffee and you put the alcoholic drinks away. Simples smile

Trills Mon 28-May-12 17:59:18

Lol at piss off into your own carriages

Instruct your coachmen to have your carriages ready at X o'clock.

juneau Mon 28-May-12 18:05:46

Yep - send 'at home' cards (if you're determined to have this at your house). Put 'Drinks 5-7pm' or whatever time you want. They'll all want to piss off and have dinner if you do it at that time and if you're not serving food that's hint enough that they should vamos. As a parent myself 5-7 would be a total PITA as it's right at dinner/bath/bed time, so I'd probably decline.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now