Having people round 'for drinks" - how do you get them to leave?

(34 Posts)
Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:20:18

And also - do you still even call it "coming round for drinks" anymore? Is that some 70s throwback I've dragged up from Abigail's Party?

Basically what I want to happen is for a group of 20+ people to come and have drinks and snacks and then leave after a couple of hours. Will have to be evening - how do I phrase all this? I've done "parties", I've done "coming round for a meal" - I've never done something in between. Can anyone rescue me?

Would you like to borrow DS? He's guaranteed to wake up every two hours & if you put the baby monitor on full volume he'd easily clear a room grin

bamboobutton Thu 17-May-12 21:25:14

ring a bell and call time?

MayaAngelCool Thu 17-May-12 21:26:19

I'm curious as to why you don't want them to hang around for long...are there people in the group who you're not that keen on? Or perhaps you're pushed for time?

MyNameIsntFUCKINGWarren Thu 17-May-12 21:26:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumblechum1 Thu 17-May-12 21:26:57

WE do this at Christmas sometimes. The invite says "please join us for drinks on Christmas eve between 3pm and 5pm.

Problem is there's always at least one family who end up staying till 11pm!

Chubfuddler Thu 17-May-12 21:27:19

Is this pre dinner drinks? Or after?

Flash your knickers, spill a drink in someone's lap, and tell DH loudly that you want to go to centreparcs this evening grin
Oh wait, I've stumbled into Etiquette... Ignore me!

KatieMiddleton Thu 17-May-12 21:28:42

Put your housecoat on and start clearing away? Then if that fails just turn out the lights and go to bed?

notcitrus Thu 17-May-12 21:28:58

'please come over for drinks and snacks from 5-7pm'?
Makes it clear they will then need to shove off and have a bit more supper after.

IME people aren't fussed about exactly what they get invited for as long as they have the info to plan accordingly.

Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:29:09

They're sort of colleagues and I'm sort of the boss (a voluntary thing and sorry, I'm being deliberately vague). Some I know well and like a lot, some I know well and actively dislike, some I don't really know.
Anyway, I'm leaving and I want/have to do a "goodbye and thanks" thing. But I just don't want hours of it grin.

I could get the DCs to start a small fire somewhere maybe?

Chubfuddler Thu 17-May-12 21:30:29

If you want to be extra wanky you could send them At Home cards and put "carriages at x".

MayaAngelCool Thu 17-May-12 21:31:06

Well in that case I think scented's suggestion is just about perfect.

grin

Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:31:52

It hadn't actually occurred to me to be time-specific on the invite blush.

So - timings. If you had small kids and got this sort of invite (kids not invited - house couldn't fit that many), what time would you like it to be?

MayaAngelCool Thu 17-May-12 21:32:27

Chub: When I was younger I always used to think that meant 'carriages will be sent to collect you at x'. Took me ages to realise that it actually means 'piss off into your own carriages at x and get out of my hair'.

turnigitonitshead Thu 17-May-12 21:32:39

why not just go to the pub for a couple of hours then you can leave.

Chubfuddler Thu 17-May-12 21:33:08

What day of the week? Weekend 5 - 7pm.

mumblechum1 Thu 17-May-12 21:33:53

Yes, pub would solve all your problems!

Chubfuddler Thu 17-May-12 21:34:11

I worked in rymans as a teenager and thought At Home cards the pinnacle of sophistication.

Downandoutnumbered Thu 17-May-12 21:34:55

Yes, I was going to say, don't do this in your house, because people won't leave when you want them to. Book a local cafe / room in pub and organise drinks and snacks. Then you can leave when you want to without making people feel they're being thrown out.

Hassled Thu 17-May-12 21:37:08

The pub would solve all my problems, wouldn't it? But is it a bit "can't be arsed"? I do genuinely want to thank some of these people. Some of them can rot in hell, though.

GreenMarrow Thu 17-May-12 21:37:44

Plant someone to leave at the designated hour and them loudly say 'oh is it that time already, are you all off now, thanks everso for coming..'

I really know where you are coming from OP, I think a couple of hours drinks is ideal but it's very hard to get people to leave when you want them to even if you do put a time on the invite!

emsyj Thu 17-May-12 21:38:19

Lots of trendy bars will do exclusive use during the week for a minimum bar spend. This is the way forward! Also, if it's a school night you will get fewer people hanging around til the bitter end. And you can leave whenever you like.

emsyj Thu 17-May-12 21:39:12

No, it's more flash than drinks at home if you get a nice venue. Doesn't have to be 'meet me in the pub with all the old soaks and I'll buy you a pint' - you can make it all lahvely and everything, and it needn't cost much at all.

mumblechum1 Thu 17-May-12 21:39:53

I don't think it would be considered "cba" - it might be easier for them to meet at a central pub rather than go out to your house, and in terms of thanking them, you could put on a free supper/put cash behind the bar for drinks or whatever.

Actually thinking about it, last time dh moved locations but in the same company, he invited everyone to the social club and paid for snacks & drinks and it went down well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now