NCT "playdate" - when do you stop taking biscuits to someone's house?

(12 Posts)
champagnesupernova Fri 17-Feb-12 13:17:19

In my NCT group we have been meeting up occasionally in each others houses since our DC were born 13 months ago.
There are only 7 mums.
When do we stop?
Or should you bring something every time you go to someone's house for a play/coffee?
<brassic>

Cies Fri 17-Feb-12 13:19:38

I generally take something over when I go for coffee at someone's house. Doesn't have to be an extra special pack of biccies though. Sometimes I take fruit from the IL's garden.

gdp74 Tue 06-Mar-12 20:05:22

I think it's part of the play dating process to ensure you never show up empty handed. But of course, if your child is playing without you accompaning him/her then it becomes less about the thing you bring and more about the thank you after the date. Do you think its important to send a thank you note? Or an email/text?

naturopath Tue 06-Mar-12 20:18:57

I disagree - I think by that point me and my NCT group had definitely dispensed with the biscuits!

i would generally always take something if i was going to someone else's house yes...

however, with my group of "mum friends" who i've been meeting up with weekly for the last 7 years we don't bother now. but whoever is hosting has to make an effort with biscuits lol
so i guess it turns out the same. if we all bought biscuits every week we'd have way too many

AnaisB Tue 06-Mar-12 20:22:04

shit - is that what i'm supposed to have done? Will be biscuit pusher extraordinaire when the next one come to make up for it.

socialdilemma Tue 06-Mar-12 20:48:58

gdp a thank you note after a playdate?
I often send a thank you email after a children's party
But I have never done that and am v g with ty letters

Llareggub Tue 06-Mar-12 20:52:42

Think yourselves lucky. My NCT group started doing lunches, and one memorable occasion the host made three quiches, a flan and an array of lovely nibbles. She was not impressed with my cheese sandwich offer. Don't go that route, it was hell.

gdp74 Wed 07-Mar-12 17:27:44

agree on the note/ email after a party . but sometimes that also seems redundant as the party host will thank you for coming and for a gift, right?
i often send an email or text to say "thanks for having Sam, he had a great time" particularly if i didnt attend. i would do the same if the host made three quiches! no?

FilterCoffee Sun 11-Mar-12 19:02:32

I would never expect anyone to turn up with biscuits etc. I have biscuits/cakes of my own to offer visitors. Isn't it easier if we just all provide them ourselves? It can get a bit tiresome having to think about what biscuits to take along every time, as well as everything else. I'm sure there never used to be this obligation if you went to play with someone!

gdp74 Tue 20-Mar-12 16:28:16

Do you think people bring biscuits to impress the host?

CaliforniaLeaving Wed 13-Jun-12 02:36:41

Our group has been meeting for the last 13 years, all our kids just finished high school this week. No one ever takes biscuits or anything, we rotate houses and the host puts on coffee and a cake or biscuits. Or we do a trip out and meet up at Starbucks or something like that and buy our own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now