Typical English gift for an American

(28 Posts)
stabiliser15 Thu 08-Dec-11 15:26:35

Someone I don't know well but who I worked alongside on a specific project very kindly sent me an ice hockey jersey for my husband, knowing he is a massive fan.

I'd like to send a reciprocal gift, and don't know what to get. Previously my boss was sent a similar gift and sent our contact an English Premier League Football Shirt. The individual is very senior and very wealthy, and I am junior and not, and he knows this and the gift was very much sent without obligation.

I don't think the reciprocal gift needs to be the same kind of thing as I was sent, but would like to send something and would like ideas please. My initial thoughts were to send something very "English", but would love anyone else's ideas to consider!

Thanks!

Basket of tea, jam and biscuits is customary. smile

ExquisiteChristmasCake Mon 12-Dec-11 13:56:19

I was going to say jam and shortbread or perhaps some soap made by Monks!

Checkmate Mon 12-Dec-11 13:59:54

Souvenirs for London 2012 olympics are already available to buy, so possibly something from that range?

wahwahwah Mon 12-Dec-11 14:01:12

Something Harrodsy. Tea or biscuits in a nice tin.

Get0rf Mon 12-Dec-11 14:07:24

I agree with very nice biscuits and a caddy of english tea.

My first thought also was to buy him some fragrance from Penhaligons - there is a secnt collection here. Quintessential English gentleman stuff I know this from Jilly Cooper novels

Get0rf Mon 12-Dec-11 14:08:06

Or a cricket jumper, in the same vein as the hockey top.

Get0rf Mon 12-Dec-11 14:08:14

Or a rugby jumper.

Get0rf Mon 12-Dec-11 14:11:51

I have a similar problem actually. My DB's girlfriend is American, we do not excganhe christmas gifts however dd is going to LA at half term with my brother, and I want to send something utterly English as a gift.

Problem is, DB's girlfriend works in the Rodeo Drive Louis Vuitton shop (!). What the bloody hell do you buy someone who works in Louis Vuitton? Primark earrings? A handbag from Dorothy Perkins! grin

I was thinking a candle from Molton Brown but that seems to meh. She doesn't really eat treat stuff so biscuits and jams are out. I imagine she has all the perfume and keyrings and stuff she needs. At this rate she will get a Royal Wedding tea towel.

painterly Tue 13-Dec-11 14:15:21

How about a Harrods tote bag for the DB's American girl?

OP, I also think some fortnum and mason tea and shortbread would be much appreciated, provided it gets there in one piece! F&M have some lovely English tins that the tea comes in, or there is Harvey Nicks too..

stabiliser15 Tue 13-Dec-11 21:48:48

Thanks for all your responses. Like the tea/shortcake ideas. And rugby top as well, although that may be slightly out of my budget! Thanks.

snailoon Tue 13-Dec-11 21:53:40

We gave 2 matching antique jubilee mugs. They were 5 pounds at a charity shop, but lovely, and our (Anglophile) American friends LOVE them.

LynnCSchreiber Tue 13-Dec-11 21:59:34

Getorf
What about a couple of bone china mugs and some tea?

I have ordered from this company a few times, and they are very good.

MsAverage Sat 14-Jan-12 21:45:31

Miller Harris is quite English gift on Harrodsey-Liberty side. Mrs Cameron took their candles as gifts for Mrs Obama a couple of years ago.

EdithWeston Sat 14-Jan-12 21:51:52

Something from Wedgewood in their classic blue. Or something like a tin of tea from Fortnums (as the tin can be reused).

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Sat 14-Jan-12 21:55:08

Has he got kids? I had to do something similar a couple of years ago and sent his two girls (about 11 and 13, I think) Cath Kidston bags. Mind you, they might well sell them there!

EdithWeston Sat 14-Jan-12 22:07:50

Or for younger children, toy London bus and taxi wrapped in a Will and Kate tea towel?

Valpollicella Sat 14-Jan-12 22:08:31

Buckfast grin

Valpollicella Sat 14-Jan-12 22:09:06

Sorry not 'English' per se and a silly suggestion and pressed post before I ment to grin

FloydieDoydie Thu 26-Jan-12 14:41:37

Clotted cream fudge? And posh tea smile

Westcountrywife Thu 26-Jan-12 17:51:51

Valpolicella - get to the back of class! Buckfast tonic wine is made by the monks at Buckfast Abbey, which is in Buckfastleigh in Devon. Very English actually! Recently went to Edinburgh and giggled at teenagers drinking it...

PosieParker Thu 26-Jan-12 17:53:17

I would send some lovely bunting!! Or a tea pot.

But are you sending this abroad?

MrsChemist Thu 26-Jan-12 17:56:43

AFAIK Fortnum and Mason has a section for foodstuffs that can be sent abroad.

SoleSource Wed 01-Aug-12 17:42:20

Yankee candle. smile

gilarski Sun 09-Jun-13 08:45:38

If the family has children .My family with them is very friendly. I usually give them a football kit from :http://www.footballtshirtuk.com/.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now