Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

Can you give someone a present for the baby before the baby is born?

(16 Posts)
CroissantNeuf Sat 23-Jul-11 14:50:59

Situation is we are travelling abroad and whilst there will be visiting friend who is due to have a baby sometime in the next 4 weeks (baby may even have arrived before we get there as due to various factors it is likely to be early rather than on due date/late).

Can we give a wrapped baby gift (clothing) when we see friends even if baby hasn't arrived or is that not the done thing?

greycircles Sat 23-Jul-11 14:53:27

I would say, no, that isn't the done thing. There used to be a thing whereby it was bad luck to have a pram in the house if your baby wasn't born yet. Obviously most of us now get a pram before the baby is born, but there are sill lots of people who consider this bad luck. So, just in case, I wouldn't give a present until the baby is born.

MindtheGappp Sat 23-Jul-11 14:53:27

Not if you are superstitious. But baby showers are increasingly common, and these take place before the baby is born.

There is no harm in waiting until after the baby arrives, however.

Is it their first? IME first timers are the superstitious ones. I'm a second timer and your present would be lost in the melee of prams, clothes, car seats, baths and cots that are left over from dd as far as superstition goes!

CroissantNeuf Sat 23-Jul-11 14:56:58

I never thought about the whole baby showers thing -they get given lots of presents before the baby is born then don't they?

I'm not sure how superstitious she is TBH.

I guess I'll have to take the present wrapped and ready so that if the baby has arrived before we see them then I've got it with us, if the baby hasn't arrived I'll have to bring it back to the UK and then post it later on.

CroissantNeuf Sat 23-Jul-11 14:57:21

No, not their first

gorionine Sat 23-Jul-11 15:03:16

I got presents from people before DD1 was born I thought it was nice and have not once thought this could be unlucky for my future baby.

If you are bringing your present whilst visiting from abroad surely she will not mind? Do people really think that a gift will jinx things if given pre birth?

PaperBank Sat 23-Jul-11 19:03:41

No, I wouldn't.

Could you leave it with one of her friends/neighbours to be passed on once baby arrives? Otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to post it later, which IMO is still better than giving it before the birth.

mumeeee Fri 29-Jul-11 11:47:45

It's becoming more common now to get gifts before the baby's born, Lots of people have baby showers which happen before the baby's born. I would just take the gift with you .

WilsonFrickett Sat 06-Aug-11 23:10:39

I got masses of presents from work people when I went on mat leave and didnt think anything of it - I think the circumstances are quite similar IYSWIM. Wouldn't think twice about giving the gift while you are in the same country!

Although I would say dont be offended if they don't open the gift and keep it to one side until the baby comes.

clarasebal Wed 18-Sep-13 19:32:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sluggers Fri 04-Oct-13 22:19:50

Yes of course! I'm due in a week and it's my first. I have massively appreciated any and all of the presents given to me at any stage of my pregnancy, and I'm absolutely amazed that so many people on here are saying no!

It's lovely and thoughtful, no matter how big or small.

Plus, if you're given things then it helps with preparation as it's easier to work out what you need to buy ahead of the baby arriving.

juniper9 Wed 09-Oct-13 13:42:24

I have never even considered not giving or receiving baby presents before the baby was born. It has never crossed my mind that it might not be the done thing checks memory to see if I might have offended anyone

My DD was born a week ago, and loads of people gave us clothes before hand. In fact, they were annoyed as I didn't find out her gender and 'it made life difficult for them'.

clr2014 Wed 09-Oct-13 13:50:29

Superstition is a big issue for many.

Im not superstitious, and it wouldn't bother me...how is it different to giving a bday present early?

Having said that, today's lunchtime news about stillbirth has really unsettled me....

meditrina Wed 09-Oct-13 13:58:51

Do you know the attitude of the parents to be?

I think to be on the safe side, it might be better to find someone to eave it with until the baby has arrived.

pokesandprodsforthelasttime Wed 09-Oct-13 14:51:54

Yes of course you can. It makes much more sense than posting it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now