Leaving a party early - thank hosts or slip away?

(6 Posts)
champagnesupernova Sun 17-Jul-11 20:41:47

Since having kids and paying for sitters, we tend to not stay out till the wee small hours any more.
Round here though, lots of people have family to park the kids with so they stay out much later
Is it more polite to
(a)find the hosts to thank them and say goodbye (but risk drawing attention to the fact that the party's breaking up- recently had someone say "oh no, you're not going HOME?)
or (b) just slip into the night but be sure to thank them after then party?

Eaglebird Sun 17-Jul-11 21:18:15

Thank the host for a lovely party, then make your escape.

InstantAtom Sat 30-Jul-11 09:18:04

Thank the hosts before you leave. That's good manners on your part regardless of other guests who make comments.

PuppyMonkey Sat 30-Jul-11 09:25:40

Thank hosts and leave of course. No brainer IMHO. Vert rude to bugger off without saying something.

bigTillyMint Sun 14-Aug-11 21:18:52

Always, always thank the hosts before leaving, whatever time it is.

And thank again after by text / card / in person.

They will understand that you have to be back for the sitter, but won't understand if you leave without saying goodbye and thank you.

supernannyisace Fri 02-Mar-12 12:18:24

Always thank the hosts before leaving. I would consider it rude to slip away. You don't need to say goodbye to all the guests - just hunt out the hosts and say thanks and go.

The only time I ever 'slipped away' was at my own wedding reception. I was a little bit tipsy - me and hubs just left the party and went off up to our bedroom. It was easier than waiting for everyone else to leave, and quicker than having to go around the whole room thanking/saying bye... So we just did a runner smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now