Tampons and jars of out-of-date baby food: Most bizarre things you have seen on Freecycle?

(34 Posts)
Feierabend Tue 20-Oct-09 09:52:04

I have recently been offered 'four tampax' and 'several jars of out-of-date baby food, some are just a month or two past their use by date, some several months'. What's the most bizarre offer / request you have seen on Freecycle?

clayre Tue 20-Oct-09 09:53:58

i saw some asking for a plasma wide screen tv as they only have a portable in their lounge and it was difficult to watch!

Feierabend Tue 20-Oct-09 09:55:50

Oh, that reminds me! 'My son has recently bought a new house and is now in need of everything - sofa, table/chairs, bed/mattress, fridge, oven, washing machine, TV'. I mean how did he manage to buy a house in the first place? hmm

NorbertDentressangle Tue 20-Oct-09 09:56:20

I saw a Wanted ad for a pole dancing pole.

I mean, so many people have them lying around at home unused, getting in the way, don't they?!

clayre Tue 20-Oct-09 09:58:07

eww would you want to re-use a pole dancing pole?

ja9 Tue 20-Oct-09 10:01:11

op - that's shocking!

i once saw, in a list of items, an odd clip on earring....!!!!

and that was offered by our site moderator

honestly, freecycle is just a haven of material for stand up comics grin

Soneone offered a packet of ready-brek...with only one serving taken out of it. She'd tried it.. and didn't like it!

Guimuahahahahahaaaaaaa Tue 20-Oct-09 10:08:12

I'll just add in my 'lock-up garage for my new e-type Jaguar' grin

(To be completely fair, he was offering to rent the garage, but that isn't as entertaining!)

WhatFreshBLOODIsThis Tue 20-Oct-09 13:32:51

My favourite one was on Bristol Freecycle (a haven for old hippies wink):

Wanted: World peace. Also large cardboard boxes for house move.

grin

Guimuahahahahahaaaaaaa Tue 20-Oct-09 16:54:31

grin WFB!

littlefrog Wed 28-Oct-09 20:58:00

oh dear i am clearly fodder for this kind of 'what kind of a person would...'
Have contemplated (not done, and probably won't now...) freecycling
unopened box of wrong kind of natracare tampons bought by DH
opened bottles of various kinds of very expensive oils (flax, wheatgerm etc.) bought also by DH and unusable by us
Landfill (or the sink) here they come
I have been shamed...

notcitrus Fri 06-Nov-09 13:10:18

I listed 'approximately 200 tampons, mostly boxed' a while back and had about 20 responses!

People take almost anything round here - thanks to being in a crowded city. If it's only a couple minutes walk then why not.

Jarred food has best-before dates, not use-by, so there's no reason not to eat it after the date, assuming it's not been stored in a hot place or something.

Helium Tue 10-Nov-09 16:34:43

Stocks - seriously like they would have used in the middle ages to imprison and throw rotten veges at women who cooked with herbs or something. Goodness knows what they were used for...

I agree - don't use freecycle, but was very worried recently I'd have to throw out some maternity pads (unused, I hasten to add!)
Also got given an opened pack of ryvita by a guy at work who'd bought them and didn't like them - they were posh ones and I appreciated them!

Talkable Tue 10-Nov-09 16:51:59

Someone round here asked for a "black Bugaboo Bee in very good condition, preferably with originnal packaging and matching footmuff and sunshade".

Me thinks they were a leeeettle optimistic.

thefortbuilder Tue 10-Nov-09 17:18:03

i once offered our broken lawnmower - i did say it's broken but given a bit of servicing might come back to life. twas snapped up!

honeybunmum Tue 10-Nov-09 17:32:57

Someone was offering 3 'Tena pads for men' on ours the other day..... shock

aVariableTrumpet Tue 10-Nov-09 17:48:29

Offered: Half a tin of hairspray was one of my favourites.

Wanted PS3 as I'm bored with my Xbox360 caused a bit of bother though.

Someone else offered a chemical warfare outfit shock and one bloke asked for a bottom set of false teeth as he'd lost his on the train, although I was a bit hmm at that one.

Shouldn't laugh at spelling mistakes, but someone asking for meNtal toe-cap boots still makes me grin

CowWatcher Tue 10-Nov-09 18:07:07

Agree there are many loonies, but I just made house room by giving away a dressmaker's dummy in 40 minutes flat. No house clearance/rag and bone man would have been as quick as that!

MmeLindt Tue 10-Nov-09 18:11:13

I do have a couple of boxes of Tampax lying around that I bought pre-Mooncup. I don't want to throw them out so keep them in case a guest needs one.

I might use an out of date jar of sauce, but would not think about using out of date baby food.

LOL at World Peace.

kazkisswooshh Fri 13-Nov-09 11:58:58

oooh on the note of expired baby food. some one asked for old babyfood jars a few days back. so as the saying goes. 'one mans trash is anothers treasure!)

I saw a bucket of frogspawn on ours once

nickelbabe Fri 13-Nov-09 12:07:01

actually, kazkiss has a point: baby jars are a lovely size, so offering the out of date ones for free would appeal to a jam maker, or someone making jarred food gifts for people.

jars cost quite a bit of money to buy.

then the collector just needs to clean them out.

M1SSUNDERSTOOD Sat 14-Nov-09 08:03:53

Someone asked for an engagement ring on ours and it caused a fuss. I think they got it anyway.

purepurple Sat 14-Nov-09 08:16:13

Someone offered a caravan on ours once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now