Anyone on a water meter ? Is it saving you money ?

(30 Posts)
CaptainUnderpants Tue 02-Dec-08 20:14:47

have just gone onto a water meter. Can try it for 12 months to see if we make any savings.

Do you have a water meter and is it cheaper than paying water rates ?

bollockbrain Tue 02-Dec-08 21:08:44

i thought it was rather high and asked my neighb about her band and she said her dh deals with all that sort of stuff, so left it at that. Then couple years later i was ranting over my latest bill to another neighb who told me what her band was and the investigation began. council people did not realize it was 2 houses. {very old building which was converted}

nice rebate though smile and big bill of 2 years plus the year they were in for the neighbs grin

Hulababy Tue 02-Dec-08 21:12:38

Yes we do have a meter and I do think ti works out cheaper. There are 3 of us (me, DH and 6y DD). We don't really do anything to save on water bills blush

WingsofaTreefairy Tue 02-Dec-08 21:19:30

We have one pay £40 per month but just got or over payments of £190 back. 2 Adults 2 children.

girlywhirly Wed 03-Dec-08 15:51:03

Much cheaper. There are two of us in a three bed house and our bills are less than half what they were. Plus, this year we barely needed to use any tap water on the garden, just used saved rain from the butts.

Unless there are a lot of people in a home, you should make some savings; it is definitely in the interests of couples and single dwellers to have metered water, ie lone parents where dcs only live part of the time with them, or widowed inlaws for example, who by and large use less. It shouldn't cost anything to have the meter installed, and the workmen don't need access to your property unless te water main is in an awkward place, ours is actually under an inspection flap on the pavement.

notcitrus Wed 03-Dec-08 18:05:25

I refused a meter when moving into my house - much as i'd like to save water we suspected large leaks (hopefully all resolved 3 years on) and needed lots of plumbing done including draining the system a few times.

Given our rates are under £400/year for a 5-bed house, I doubt I'd save money with a meter, especially now we have a baby and all the washing of his clothes and nappies. I have lots of friends who've moved to places with meters and ended up spending more - once most people were moved to meters they put the metered prices up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now