eco-friendly version of clingfilm?

(8 Posts)
mimsum Mon 07-Jan-08 22:57:37

does anyone know where I can get an eco-friendly equivalent of clingfilm - pref reusable - for things like sandwiches, wrapping cheese in so doesn't go hard etc

I'm sure I've seen something like it but can't find it right now

thanks

Do you mean the cornstarch stuff - I don't think it's reusable and I've never seen it in the shops but I think you can get it online if you google.

This is the stuff I was thinking off here don't think you can buy it though.

What's wrong with tuppaware? Or a paper bag?

exbatt Tue 08-Jan-08 10:03:50

I've seen eco-friendly versions in many health-food-type shops.

However, the best bet is to use containers with lids or paper bags or similar. Those lock & lock type containers are good. Or I have reverted to doing what my mum and gran always did - put food in a bowl with a small plate on top as a lid, or the other way round, food on plate with cereal bowl to cover. This works a treat.

For sandwiches in lunchboxes I either use a lock & lock box (I like the ones with removable dividers in, although I have to take at least one divider out to fit the sandwich in!), or I use a larger plastic lunchbox and inside that is a variety of different sized containers holding sandwiches, fruit, cake etc.

Califrau Tue 08-Jan-08 10:07:46

in germany you can buy various sizes of "showercap" for covering food in dishes and microwaving. They last for ages as you just rinse and reuse. For sandwiches you need tupperware or paper bags. DS1 takes sandwiches every day to school. he has a crayola sandwich shaped box, a baseball shaped box for the carrots and a refillable bottle of water. We havent used clingfilm in a long time.

exbatt Tue 08-Jan-08 10:29:20

You can get the 'showercap' things here too, but I never found they lasted that well. You can also get more fancy covers with beaded edges, but I don't know they stand up to everday use.

I'm a big fan of lock and locks also, not least because thieving little hands can't open them and nick my chocolates grin

200shona200 Thu 16-Jan-14 11:14:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now