I just freecycled for the first and last time

(60 Posts)
hotcrumpets Mon 16-Jul-07 11:29:02

Offered something on ebay

Got about 10 replies, nearly all of them "when can I collect" no please/thanks at all

and now I have just got a v rude email off the man that picked it up moaning that the "item does not work and I suppose thats why you got rid of it!!!!!, thanks for wasting our time"

i never even said it did work

it will be the skip next time I guess

ivykaty44 Sat 21-Jul-07 23:11:54

Wendy when i was shopping in the supermarket yesterday a lady came and asked me where I thought the 2007 diarys would be? So there are people out there that have been asleep for 6 months!

I told her to go to smiths and get an 18 months one - never thought of recycle

BadHair Sat 21-Jul-07 23:23:12

I'm a big fan of Freecycle and use it to both offer and receive. Have had had 2 no-shows now for some baby clothes, though, which is really annoying, and was the "lucky" recipient of a swing that turned out to be so rusty that it was a health hazard, so I took it straight to the tip.
It sounds really strange, but I find that when I advertise good stuff, I get given good stuff, and if I've put nothing on for a while then I get nothing back. Freecycle karma, I guess.

BadHair Sat 21-Jul-07 23:24:39

A standard 2007 diary would be perfect for me - my academic year diary runs out at the end of the month, and I won't get another one until I go back to work next year. The back end of a standard diary would be great!

lisad123 Sat 21-Jul-07 23:41:31

I use it too. I had a horrible person come and collect a load of toys the other day, no thank you, turned up and hour and half late (9.30pm!) and it was huge clang of them. Im sure they properly will sell at carboot this week
I offered a bag of baby clothes and woman could not thank me enough, lovely lady

I have had some lovely stuff, all baby stuff offered after i posted a wanted as currently on sick pay
I am always careful about who i give to and if i get an email saying "when can i collect" or i want this" i delete it.
I have a beutiful swinging crib sitting waiting for bumpy, from a wonderful freecycler, its worth it someodays.

Lisa

lisad123 Sat 21-Jul-07 23:42:10

LOL at a freecycle request for a PS3 last week

BadHair Sat 21-Jul-07 23:59:23

From last night's Wrexham Freecycle board:

"This is a very big ask I know, but has anybody got an old smallish car
that is ok for my daughter to learn to drive in please she doesn't have
much money.
Thanks a lot"

FFS, if she doesn't have much money, how is she going to tax and insure it and put petrol in the bloody thing. And the boards are full of people asking for laptops, greedy f*ckers. If I had a laptop to give away I'd have already advertised it, wouldn't I?

malovitt Thu 08-Nov-12 10:54:12

I freecycled a really good tropical fish tank with the heater, pump, plants etc. Had loads of replies but chose one lady who said she worked in an autistic school and wanted to set it up in the classroom as her pupils loved to watch fish, but the school couldn't afford a tank. She made some enquiries about how heavy it would be, where was the nearest bus stop as she didn't have a car, so me being a mug said I would drive it round to her house - about 40 minute drive away - as I thought it was going to a good cause. Arrived earlier than arranged and clearly saw about 10 tanks through her front room window. Knocked on the door and her disgruntled husband came out and told me she was a fish breeder and he didn't want another tank in the house and wondered what "sob story" she had given me. She didn't work in an autistic school either.

I agree that most of the time I'm happy to have got rid of something that is taking up space, but in this instance I had loads of replies and I would have given it to someone else locally and saved myself the petrol.

I also offered a couple of sofas and got a request from a woman to cut off a swatch of fabric from somewhere inconspicuous and post it to her to see if it matched her wallpaper! A lovely Polish couple who were setting up home took them eventually and were delighted with them.

On the whole, the good experiences outweigh the bad though. Most people who turn up to collect are lovely. I don’t offer my items to abrupt one line replies because it is rude.

ilovetermtime Thu 08-Nov-12 11:13:03

I've been freecycling for a while now and have had some great things off it, including a (very beat up, but still working) piano. I've also given away loads of stuff on it and everyone has been lovely who turned up for it.

I've only ever delivered once, but it was my double buggy and the woman didn't know if it would fit in the boot of her car, so I dropped it round for her. Normally I would think they were pretty cheeky for asking, as they're getting it for free anyway.

I also pmsl at some of the requests. Some people really are chancers aren't they? But I guess you can't blame them for trying - if you don't ask, you don't get!

katcatkat Thu 08-Nov-12 11:14:42

Freecycle/freegle used to be good around here but i unsubscribed a few month as ago as everytime i offered something i got mucked around to such an extent i just don't need the hassle.

MrsGrieves Thu 08-Nov-12 12:48:38

Malovitt, I love that you replied the same to a zombie thread, only 5 years later grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now