I just freecycled for the first and last time

(60 Posts)
hotcrumpets Mon 16-Jul-07 11:29:02

Offered something on ebay

Got about 10 replies, nearly all of them "when can I collect" no please/thanks at all

and now I have just got a v rude email off the man that picked it up moaning that the "item does not work and I suppose thats why you got rid of it!!!!!, thanks for wasting our time"

i never even said it did work

it will be the skip next time I guess

hotcrumpets Mon 16-Jul-07 11:29:20

sorry meant to say freecycle not ebay

ConnorTraceptive Mon 16-Jul-07 11:30:18

what was it?

Yorkiegirl Mon 16-Jul-07 11:30:36

Message withdrawn

LeafTurner Mon 16-Jul-07 11:31:09

Hmmm - I think I would assume something was working to be honest if you didn't state that it didn't - so I can kind of understand the man moaning about it !

What are we talking about anyway ?

madamez Mon 16-Jul-07 11:31:34

I'm not sure what your item was but I think it's perhaps reasonable to state when you put it on freecycle that it doesn't work, if it doesn't. Otherwise people are likely to assume that it is in working order and you simply don't need it any more. Why would any one want, for instance, a camera/television/kettle that doesn't work, even if it is free?

LeafTurner Mon 16-Jul-07 11:32:21

Also meant to say - I though freecycle was to recycle useful things - and if something is broken then unless you state it is for spares then it isn't really useful - its just passing your waste problem to someone else !

MegaLegilimens Mon 16-Jul-07 11:35:09

What was it?

hotcrumpets Mon 16-Jul-07 11:35:27

it was a tv

i plugged it in to see if it switched on and it did, i didn't tune it in to be fair and he is saying there is a line across the screen?

I said in the advert, that it switched on but hadn't been used for about a year

LeafTurner Mon 16-Jul-07 11:37:13

Oh well - in that case he is being unreasonable ! You can't expect a fab TV for free really can you !

Zazette Mon 16-Jul-07 11:39:32

You should have checked whether it worked, and said explicitly whether it did or not. Most freecycle groups explain this kind of etiquette to new members in introductory emails - perhaps you should read over them? I'd have assumed it worked unless you said it didn't, too.

Agree that the other respondents were rude though. Freecycle groups have their own local cultures, I think - everyone is always very polite and friendly on ours, but I know others can be less charming.

It would be a shame to let one bad experience put you off freecycle; I've found it to be a very positive thing to be involved with.

WendyWeber Mon 16-Jul-07 11:39:51

We recently collected a TV which turned out not to work - so we took it to the tip

(Our tip has a v active and enthusiastic squad of recycling people though so I doubt it was dumped)

Peachy Mon 16-Jul-07 11:40:15

Freecycle is as good as the peole who use it really. Round here there are loads of nice ones- and we always make the effort to be polite- but equally there is one woman known as SmellyX whose house reeks, her stuff reeks and once accepted never again! She gives away stuff like used popsocks as well , or half used lipsticks

WendyWeber Mon 16-Jul-07 11:45:38

Somebody on ours is offering a 2007 desk diary today

I suppose it would do for someone who's been asleep for 6 months.

hotcrumpets Mon 16-Jul-07 11:47:00

aarrgghh I feel bad now for not checking it properly

this is why I don't do things like this, i've got my driving test in 50 mins suppose I better start worrying about that instead!

ow82 Mon 16-Jul-07 11:53:18

I give and take on freecyel - you get some good some bad, but to email someone nastily is plain rude tbh you can't expect a 32incl brand new plasma telly for free - even thou members of the freecycle I go on would like them - along with LCD flat screen moniters. when I offer things I do give a detailed description, alwasy remeber p's and q's for requests, and 95% of the time do a follow up thanks it's fab xyz etc. for those (like in the case of some toys I got for mums nursery) only about half were any good - but the half that were more than made up for the half that weren't either way the LO's win as it's something they didn't have before - i'm sure the logic of some people is missing when they go on freecycle.

fwiw thou we did get a brand new computer moniter/speakers for BIL's computer (birthday pres) which DH is building him, DH was over the moon.

brimfull Mon 16-Jul-07 11:55:57

have had a few people say they'll collect things then don't turn up-that really pisses me off

tasja Mon 16-Jul-07 12:01:15

Freecycle is as good as the peole who use it really ??

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Mon 16-Jul-07 12:06:22

The not turning up is what makes moest our things ending up in the rubish/recycling bins.

We have had even people asking us to take the stuff to their workplace to see if that's what they are looking for, and then not showing up at the specified point! WTF?

ow82 Mon 16-Jul-07 12:09:01

I had a chap - was offering a buggy - say can you come to x (about 25 min car ride from my house) in an area I don't know at all. and i'm left thinking with all due respect here, you're gertting it for free get off your bum and come and get it otherwise if it's too far then don't ask. iycwim - that's prob the wrong attitude for me to have it just annoyed me as I don't ask for things if I know I can't collect them.

give it another go, i had some experiences like that on FC. or maybe choose another nearby group to you. sometimes you just gotta try again

bossykate Mon 16-Jul-07 12:21:22

hello

for anyone that is hacked off with freecycle, you can donate to a worthy cause instead - Evergreen Trust

my mum recently freecycled an unwanted sky box & dish, my step-dad went way out of his way to deliver it to them across the other side of Glasgow because they didn't have transport and the people complained because it didn't have a remote control with it! No pleasing some people I guess.

wow thats horrible really..i guess i'm just lucky that my local FC group is really good!

Oh should have said, my local sites are fab, just a shame some people spoil it for the many who use it in the spirit it's intended

Peachy Mon 16-Jul-07 15:46:23

'Freecycle is as good as the peole who use it really ??'

oh come on what the Hel
is worng with that?

when poeple are polite and kind, its great- when they're rude and surly its not,

there is absolutely nothing wrong with that sattemnt at all.

I use it, btw.

Scotia Mon 16-Jul-07 16:00:28

I've offered 3 times on freecycle. Never had any takers for any of my items, breakfast bar stool (emails asking me if there was a table with it), folding bed, leather sofa in excellent condition (emails stating they only wanted it as part of a 3 piece suite!!)

I am giving up now. The local council are coming to pick up the sofa on Thursday - hopefully one of their workers will want to 'rescue' it from the landfill when they see it.

However, I have to say, I wouldn't offer a broken TV for someone else to have to get rid of.

malovitt Mon 16-Jul-07 16:12:12

I freecycled a really good tropical fish tank with the heater, pump, plants etc. Had loads of replies but chose one lady who said she worked in an autistic school and wanted to set it up in the classroom as her pupils loved to watch fish, but the school couldn't afford a tank. She made some enquiries about how heavy it would be, where was the nearest bus stop as she didn't have a car, so me being a mug said I would drive it round to her house - about 30 minute drive away - as I thought it was going to a good cause. Arrived earlier than arranged and clearly saw about 10 tanks through her window - she was a fish breeder. I informed freecycle and they 'struck her off'. Really put me off for a while, I couldn't believe how low someone could go.

Peachy Mon 16-Jul-07 16:14:04

That's awful malovitt

HedTwigg Mon 16-Jul-07 16:19:14

just because she kept fish at home doesn't mean she wasn't going to set up a tank at a school... I think its rather strange to jump to the conclusion that it was a scam .. setting up a fish tank is a rather a lot of work and then she'd have to stock it

domesticgrumpess Mon 16-Jul-07 16:20:35

i'm quite shocked nobody wanted a leather couch. i hate suites as they take up too much room.

Message withdrawn

Scotia Mon 16-Jul-07 16:25:36

I can't believe it myself. I tried our local furniture recycling group too, and got the same answer, that their clients only want 3 piece suites even if they are getting something for nothing.

Scotia Mon 16-Jul-07 16:28:55

I agree with yorkshire pudding too. I don't mind if somebody else can be bothered with the hassle of trying to seel my stuff on. It's a bit cheeky, but it becomes their property when you give it to them.

ow82 Mon 16-Jul-07 16:50:34

scot - a few thing's i've put on there haven't gone recently, so was going to offer them to the local womans refuge - it's nothing fancy, nothing flash but am hoping it will do someone a turn - perhaps someone there might make use of those things you mention?

Scotia Mon 16-Jul-07 17:24:07

Ow, I didn't think of that, but a bit too late for these things - the sofa is outside now and it's been raining.

I will try that in the future though. I've got loads of toys and things my son is finished with. Do you think they would take stuff like that?

Thanks for the idea.

ow82 Mon 16-Jul-07 17:28:37

i'm hoping so as that's what i've mainly got lots of toys and clothes! lol.

snowwonder Mon 16-Jul-07 17:31:43

i put an old battered shed on there last week, someone replied and said they would dismantle it,

so i went to work left the gate open and they came and collected, got home it was gone, next day got an email saying how pleased they were and they had assembled it and painted it a lovely shade of blue....

how lovely was that.... i was so pleased

and saved me dismantling and getting it to the tip

Hulababy Mon 16-Jul-07 17:33:30

I have a sweet wooden desk and chair (for a young child) I have tried to freecycle. Had loads of replies. First person emailed back several times, arranged to collect and no show. As did second person I reoffered it too. Grrr!

IlanaK Mon 16-Jul-07 17:33:30

I am quite suprised reading this. We recently joined freecycle (to get rid of things, not get stuff) and have had nothing but good experiences. We got rid of a pushchair, cots, desk, folding chairs, table, wardrobe etc. And everyone has been really nice - even emailing when they get home to say thanks. I am in westminster so perhaps it is just this area!

Dannie Mon 16-Jul-07 17:43:43

I freecycled some Enid Blyton audio CDs my parents had got from the Telegraph. The takers took a while to turn up, but then the whole family came to collect them and gave us a box of Celebrations chocs.

ProfYaffle Mon 16-Jul-07 18:05:04

I've had mixed experiences, some baby stuff (moses basket and cot) I couldn't get rid of so ended up taking it to the tip. OTOH I've got some toys and clothes for dd1 that were fab.

It's the no-shows that wind me up and the endless admin rules about posting.

I agree it's polite to be honest about the working condition of electrical goods, we quite often get stuff offered 'for parts' or 'can be repaired'.

bigwombat Mon 16-Jul-07 18:29:58

Have had good experiences with freecycle mainly - but like others couldn't get rid of a decent single armchair to any takers (council, charities or freecycle) and had to take to tip. Again no one was interested in anything less than a 3 piece suite. So far everyone has turned up when they said and even got some thank you emails.

ProfYaffle Mon 16-Jul-07 18:38:52

Oh and another thing I love is the eccentric messages. Have just received a message offering a gold threaded picture of a helicopter, the description reads " picture of a helicopter worked in gold thread and pins on a black background. There's a name for this type of picture but I can't remember what it is" PMSL.

WendyWeber Mon 16-Jul-07 22:57:39

I once asked if anybody had an old racing bike, in reasonable nick pref because we are totally unmechanical, and got just one reply from someone who said he had one but it was too good to give away so would we be interested in buying it?

(Someone had given away a Sony Viao laptop earlier )

I dobbed him in but they didn't sack him .

cat64 Mon 16-Jul-07 23:22:28

Like everywhere in the world, there are polite grateful people, and there are those with those manners, and there are a few out to con you. I've given away loads of stuff that I couldn't bring myself to take to the tip (mainly baby stuff) - to people who posted 'wanted' items, and everyone has been so grateful. I've also received some FABULOUS stuff, and always sent a grateful e-mail. We've offered stuff, and only once had a no show. So overall, I'd definitely say it was a worthwhile organisation, and it might be worth giving it another go. I agree with most others though - there are plenty of people who are happy to take non-working electrical things and fix themm or use them for pat, it you are not sure, that should be stated in the 'advert' as, although people are getting things for free, they are not offering a 'take away your unusable rubbish' service.
Scotia - things that children have outgrown get snapped up around here - particularly garden toys, but also outgrown bedroom furniture, clothes, and other toys and books.

malovitt Tue 17-Jul-07 08:47:46

HedTwig - regarding the fish breeder, I didn't jump to conclusions. I omitted to say that her disgruntled husband came out and told me as much, he didn't want another tank in the house and wondered what "sob story" she had given me. She didn't work in an autistic school either.

I agree that most of the time I'm happy to have got rid of something that is taking up space, but in this instance I had loads of replies and I would have given it to someone else. I also offered a couple of sofas and got a request from a woman to cut off a swatch of fabric from somewhere inconspicuous and post it to her to see if it matched her wallpaper! A lovely Polish couple who were setting up home took them eventually and were delighted with them. The good experiences far outweigh the bad, so I'll carry on freecycling.

sidge Sat 21-Jul-07 22:39:41

When Freecycle works it's great.

When I offer stuff I ignore emails from anyone that doesn't include the words 'please' or 'thanks' and I won't deliver unless it's very local and I'm going that way anyway. Travelling 30 miles to Freecycle something sort of cancels out the environmental benefit I think!

Our Freeycyle group makes me laugh, some people seem to think it's the Argos catalogue: flat screen plasma TV wanted; laptop wanted, must be in full working order and preferably wireless with Windows XP or Vista; washing machine wanted, must be silver to match my other kitchen appliances, etc etc

Bimblin Sat 21-Jul-07 23:02:55

I tried to sell the paving blocks from our front garden on both ebay and the local free ads and got no response (they're worth hundreds) and eventually freecycled them.
The guy that came and got them was soooo sweet and kept bringing us his organic veg as thank yous - I wanted to adopt him. So keep trying with it and try vetting them before agreeing.

Carnoodleusfudge Sat 21-Jul-07 23:06:48

Love freecycle.
We've always had pretty good experiences and stuff has gone to some really good homes.

ivykaty44 Sat 21-Jul-07 23:11:54

Wendy when i was shopping in the supermarket yesterday a lady came and asked me where I thought the 2007 diarys would be? So there are people out there that have been asleep for 6 months!

I told her to go to smiths and get an 18 months one - never thought of recycle

BadHair Sat 21-Jul-07 23:23:12

I'm a big fan of Freecycle and use it to both offer and receive. Have had had 2 no-shows now for some baby clothes, though, which is really annoying, and was the "lucky" recipient of a swing that turned out to be so rusty that it was a health hazard, so I took it straight to the tip.
It sounds really strange, but I find that when I advertise good stuff, I get given good stuff, and if I've put nothing on for a while then I get nothing back. Freecycle karma, I guess.

BadHair Sat 21-Jul-07 23:24:39

A standard 2007 diary would be perfect for me - my academic year diary runs out at the end of the month, and I won't get another one until I go back to work next year. The back end of a standard diary would be great!

lisad123 Sat 21-Jul-07 23:41:31

I use it too. I had a horrible person come and collect a load of toys the other day, no thank you, turned up and hour and half late (9.30pm!) and it was huge clang of them. Im sure they properly will sell at carboot this week
I offered a bag of baby clothes and woman could not thank me enough, lovely lady

I have had some lovely stuff, all baby stuff offered after i posted a wanted as currently on sick pay
I am always careful about who i give to and if i get an email saying "when can i collect" or i want this" i delete it.
I have a beutiful swinging crib sitting waiting for bumpy, from a wonderful freecycler, its worth it someodays.

Lisa

lisad123 Sat 21-Jul-07 23:42:10

LOL at a freecycle request for a PS3 last week

BadHair Sat 21-Jul-07 23:59:23

From last night's Wrexham Freecycle board:

"This is a very big ask I know, but has anybody got an old smallish car
that is ok for my daughter to learn to drive in please she doesn't have
much money.
Thanks a lot"

FFS, if she doesn't have much money, how is she going to tax and insure it and put petrol in the bloody thing. And the boards are full of people asking for laptops, greedy f*ckers. If I had a laptop to give away I'd have already advertised it, wouldn't I?

malovitt Thu 08-Nov-12 10:54:12

I freecycled a really good tropical fish tank with the heater, pump, plants etc. Had loads of replies but chose one lady who said she worked in an autistic school and wanted to set it up in the classroom as her pupils loved to watch fish, but the school couldn't afford a tank. She made some enquiries about how heavy it would be, where was the nearest bus stop as she didn't have a car, so me being a mug said I would drive it round to her house - about 40 minute drive away - as I thought it was going to a good cause. Arrived earlier than arranged and clearly saw about 10 tanks through her front room window. Knocked on the door and her disgruntled husband came out and told me she was a fish breeder and he didn't want another tank in the house and wondered what "sob story" she had given me. She didn't work in an autistic school either.

I agree that most of the time I'm happy to have got rid of something that is taking up space, but in this instance I had loads of replies and I would have given it to someone else locally and saved myself the petrol.

I also offered a couple of sofas and got a request from a woman to cut off a swatch of fabric from somewhere inconspicuous and post it to her to see if it matched her wallpaper! A lovely Polish couple who were setting up home took them eventually and were delighted with them.

On the whole, the good experiences outweigh the bad though. Most people who turn up to collect are lovely. I don’t offer my items to abrupt one line replies because it is rude.

ilovetermtime Thu 08-Nov-12 11:13:03

I've been freecycling for a while now and have had some great things off it, including a (very beat up, but still working) piano. I've also given away loads of stuff on it and everyone has been lovely who turned up for it.

I've only ever delivered once, but it was my double buggy and the woman didn't know if it would fit in the boot of her car, so I dropped it round for her. Normally I would think they were pretty cheeky for asking, as they're getting it for free anyway.

I also pmsl at some of the requests. Some people really are chancers aren't they? But I guess you can't blame them for trying - if you don't ask, you don't get!

katcatkat Thu 08-Nov-12 11:14:42

Freecycle/freegle used to be good around here but i unsubscribed a few month as ago as everytime i offered something i got mucked around to such an extent i just don't need the hassle.

MrsGrieves Thu 08-Nov-12 12:48:38

Malovitt, I love that you replied the same to a zombie thread, only 5 years later grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now